Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine

Using Mojave (10.14.4), I have converted my Mac Mini boot drive (SSD) to APFS, along with all of my attached drives. I'm currently having issues with Time Machine, and read that the Mojave/APFS is, in fact, not compatible with a APFS formatted Time Machine. If this is true, is there a work around, or lacking one, a good suggestion out there? Thanks- David H.

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 24, 2019 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2019 1:57 PM

Time Machine is presently not working reliably with APFS. You should use HFS+ formatted backup drives in order to avoid possible problems. Can APFS be used with Time Machine, Boot Camp, and File Vault?

Converting an APFS formatted drive to HFS+ requires reformatting the drive.

Drive Partition and Format - El Capitan or Later

1. Open Disk Utility in the Utilities' folder.
  2. After Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the side list. 
  3. Click on the Erase tab in the Disk Utility toolbar. A panel should drop down.
  4. In the drop down panel set the partition scheme to GUID. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  5. Click on the Apply button and click on the Done button when it is activated.
  6. Quit Disk Utility.

Also, see How to Revert a drive from APFS back to HFS+ and How to choose between APFS and Mac OS Extended when formatting a disk for Mac - Apple Support.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2019 1:57 PM in response to dhechinger

Time Machine is presently not working reliably with APFS. You should use HFS+ formatted backup drives in order to avoid possible problems. Can APFS be used with Time Machine, Boot Camp, and File Vault?

Converting an APFS formatted drive to HFS+ requires reformatting the drive.

Drive Partition and Format - El Capitan or Later

1. Open Disk Utility in the Utilities' folder.
  2. After Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the side list. 
  3. Click on the Erase tab in the Disk Utility toolbar. A panel should drop down.
  4. In the drop down panel set the partition scheme to GUID. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  5. Click on the Apply button and click on the Done button when it is activated.
  6. Quit Disk Utility.

Also, see How to Revert a drive from APFS back to HFS+ and How to choose between APFS and Mac OS Extended when formatting a disk for Mac - Apple Support.

Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.