Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting Mail to communicate with BT Yahoo

I'm trying to get out of a Catch 22 situation. Having changed my password on BT Yahoo I now cannot access my emails through Mail on my iMac. I can only access them on the BT Yahoo website and on my iPad. I have been talking to Apple support from 8.00 am to 2.00 pm today and they have concluded that the problem is with BT Yahoo and that I should contact them. I have done this and after 2 more hours BT have told me the problem is with my iMac. They say the problem cannot be with them because the email works on my iPad. The same thing happened in early April and was solved by Apple but now they say there is nothing more they can do. I lost track of what the Apple advisor was doing but accounts were deleted and reinstalled to no avail. They reset the iMac to factory settings with no joy.

I really don't know what to do next, hence my posting on this site. Any advice?

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 24, 2019 2:36 PM

Similar questions

12 replies

Apr 25, 2019 4:51 AM in response to leachem

Open Keychain Access, select the login keychain, and find the entry for your email account. Delete it.

Make sure it is the account entry itself and not just an entry where you used your email address as a username on some website.

Once deleted, open Mail and it will ask for the password. Enter the new password and see what happens.

Apr 25, 2019 2:37 PM in response to leachem

The keychain does not have to use iCloud.

Yes, it is saving passwords. It tells you that it will save them for some things.

Email account passwords are saved without asking.

No, I don't believe any "Apple advisors" are infallible.

I would never let anyone "access" my computer.

Your screenshot suggests it must be using some sort of certificate authentication. I don't know how those are configured.

Apr 26, 2019 1:49 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks for that. It at least shows BT is aware of a problem which they have denied over the phone. I have lost track of the number of times I have deleted and reinstalled the email account together with the Apple advisor.

My email works on my iPad but we just cannot get it to work on the iMac - which I find very weird. The Apple advisor said that was because they have different operating systems.

Both Apple and BT have said they will get back to me - so I am waiting with bated breath!!!

Jun 2, 2019 9:17 AM in response to Andybutchercom

It was BT that eventually solved the problem. They escalated it to their Level 2 Tier and they spoke to me. They got me to change my BT password and as soon as I did that the email started working on my iMac. I asked what the problem was and they replied that my iMac was not recognising the old password for some reason. When I asked them if it was an Apple or a BT problem he said it was most definitely a BT problem.

I still don't understand exactly what the problem was because my iPad was accepting the original password but it has been working OK - touch wood!!

I'm sorry I can't give you any more details other than the problem hinged around my BT password.

Getting Mail to communicate with BT Yahoo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.