Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook turns off on its own but when booted back resumes from where things were left.

There has been discussions and solutions to a slightly similar case where the screen goes black suddenly(keyboard back lights still on), fans go crazy for few seconds and then macbook shuts down. But my case is different. All of a sudden the screen turns off(it's different from "going black"), keyboard back lights go off, the trackpad won't work(there is no feedback/click feel). But when I boot up: sometimes even before the bar below apple logo gets filled, it turns off again. But if it does complete the booting process, I see everything where it was left. Movie is paused at the moment just before turning off. Browser has the tabs open, but I have to reload them. I don't have any application added as a login item.

What's weird is that this " turn off process " can't be technically termed as a "shut down" because if a MacBook is shut down, all the applications are closed before powering off and they don't simply pop up when powered on(when no app is selected as a login item).

If I take it to an authorised service centre they say I just have to replace the logic board.

If they run a hardware check everything is reported as normal.

I've tried resetting SMC and PRAM. Nothing works.

Please help me resolve or atleast understand this issue. The device is a early 2015 13" MacBook Pro retina with latest Mac OS.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 30, 2019 3:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2019 10:40 AM

vilvanesh wrote:

There has been discussions and solutions to a slightly similar case where the screen goes black suddenly(keyboard back lights still on), fans go crazy for few seconds and then macbook shuts down. But my case is different. All of a sudden the screen turns off(it's different from "going black"), keyboard back lights go off, the trackpad won't work(there is no feedback/click feel). But when I boot up: sometimes even before the bar below apple logo gets filled, it turns off again. But if it does complete the booting process, I see everything where it was left.

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a message ...

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2019 10:40 AM in response to vilvanesh

vilvanesh wrote:

There has been discussions and solutions to a slightly similar case where the screen goes black suddenly(keyboard back lights still on), fans go crazy for few seconds and then macbook shuts down. But my case is different. All of a sudden the screen turns off(it's different from "going black"), keyboard back lights go off, the trackpad won't work(there is no feedback/click feel). But when I boot up: sometimes even before the bar below apple logo gets filled, it turns off again. But if it does complete the booting process, I see everything where it was left.

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a message ...

Apr 30, 2019 4:19 AM in response to vilvanesh

vilvanesh wrote:

What's weird is that this " turn off process " can't be technically termed as a "shut down" because if a MacBook is shut down, all the applications are closed before powering off and they don't simply pop up when powered on(when no app is selected as a login item).

Some years ago, I think it was around El Capitan Apple added the feature that applications open with documents loaded when your computer is restarted. Look under the General tab of System Preferences at the Close windows when quitting an app. See this article: Automatically re-open windows, apps, and documents on your Mac - Apple Support

Unfortunately I can't give you any answers about your shutdown problem. There are a number of things that can cause a sudden shutdown including thermal fault, loss of power, and short circuit. If the battery is healthy the likely solution is a logic board replacement.

MacBook turns off on its own but when booted back resumes from where things were left.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.