Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 personal hotspot extremely slow, even though data coverage is fast and PC WiFi works

(Note, I have already read the KB article at http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2756 , it does not fix it.)

I have observed the following data using speedtest.net:

1) When my PC or my Kindle Fire are connected to my xfinity WiFi router, they get download speeds of about 40 Mbps.

2) When my iPhone is connected to the data network (T-Mobile), it gets download speeds of about 40 Mbps.

3) However, when either my PC or my Kindle Fire are tethered to the iPhone's Personal Hotspot and the iPhone is still on the data network, the PC and the Kindle Fire both get download speeds of about 0.4 Mbps -- that's not a typo, they are about 100x slower than the download speed that I get when using the phone directly.

#1 rules out problems with the WiFi hardware in the PC or the kindle, and #2 rules out problems with the iPhone's data connection. So it seems that there is a bug in the iPhone 8 that is causing the personal hotspot to be throttled to a ridiculously small fraction of the available speed.

I had an iPhone 6 before, and while I do remember that web surfing with the PC tethered to the iPhone tended to be slower than web surfing on the iPhone directly, the difference didn't seem this huge.

Is this just an iPhone bug with no workaround?

iPhone 8, iOS 12

Posted on May 1, 2019 4:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2019 7:21 PM

Never mind, I think it's because T-Mobile switched me to the ONE plan, which by default comes with only 3G tethering (where the slowest 3G is indeed about 0.4 Mbps download). I didn't think the "mobile hotspot" was supposed to be this slow, but apparently it is.

Similar questions

3 replies

iPhone 8 personal hotspot extremely slow, even though data coverage is fast and PC WiFi works

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.