Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inappropriate hypertext formatting being imposed in MacMail

I'm not sure if this happens always or sometimes but just now, when typing an email in MacMail, after I had pasted in a url all the text after it was formatted in blue with an underline. I could not find a way of getting rid of this. I tried typing my words to follow the url UNFORMATTED in another application and then pasting them into the email, but the unwanted formatting was still imposed on them there.

As I say, I have a vague feeling that this is not invariably what happens, but I don't think I've done anything special to make it happen today and I certainly can't find a way to stop it.

I am using Mohave but have been for a few months.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 4, 2019 3:52 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

May 4, 2019 4:15 AM in response to Suealpha

Why not select a word or phrase to receive that link, and by right-clicking on your selection, choose Link ➝ Add Link… . Paste the hypertext in that Add Link box, and then only the selected descriptive words receive the hyperlink. Much cleaner than a pasted URL, and if the selected words had white-space behind the last word, you would not inherit the hyperlink styling when you resume typing.

May 4, 2019 6:56 AM in response to VikingOSX

Dialabrain As I suggested in my post, I vaguely think this has been an intermittent issue, and I think I have used this strategy successfully on occasion. It's just a bit of a fiddle when you are hastily replying to an email. But thanks.

Viking0SX I didn't get round to trying your suggestion because Dialabrain's second post caught my eye and I decided to try it first. Thank you very much for getting in first with an offer of help.

Dialabrain I've only just clicked that you have made two suggestions and the second one worked. It's funny, a word space does the trick but a line space (ie, Return) does not. I suspect that this could be the explanation for the issue apparently being intermittent. Thank you for helping me pinpoint this.

Inappropriate hypertext formatting being imposed in MacMail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.