Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Synchronize iMac to Mac

I would like to sync the contents of my iMac to my MacBook laptop. Is there an easy way for me to do it now?

Posted on May 5, 2019 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2019 5:03 AM

This is an issue I began dealing with sometime around 1994 though at the time it was just trying to keep my Documents folder in sync. Over time Apple and others developed technology to my solution much easier. You've indicated that you want the two systems to be identical - applications & users folder.

• Applications: since applications sometimes place pieces in locations other than the Applications folder and sometimes require serialization or authorization based on some variable unique to each computer, I recommend keeping this folder in sync manually. It really isn't that big a deal
  • Reminders, contacts, email, appointments, etc: these are synced via iCloud and many other programs also sync data via iCloud. This may require that you purchase additional space
  • Documents & Other data (excluding the Library folder): there are two ways to handle this - using a cloud service such as DropBox, OneDrive, etc or software syncing

I've been a DropBox subscriber for a very long time. I have one folder on my desktop that is deliberately not synced with DropBox which holds financial records etc. I also have an encrypted disk image for less sensitive information which I do sync. But most of my data is ho-hum stuff I wouldn't mind posting on a bulletin board by the highway. This has been a great solution for me, but not everyone likes their data in the cloud.

Before DropBox came along I used a software solution. I used ChronoSync and filesharing to keep my desktop and notebook in sync. There are lots of programs that do this but ChronoSync is a backup solution that has lots of options - including the ability to sync to sources.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2019 5:03 AM in response to thoughtful5

This is an issue I began dealing with sometime around 1994 though at the time it was just trying to keep my Documents folder in sync. Over time Apple and others developed technology to my solution much easier. You've indicated that you want the two systems to be identical - applications & users folder.

• Applications: since applications sometimes place pieces in locations other than the Applications folder and sometimes require serialization or authorization based on some variable unique to each computer, I recommend keeping this folder in sync manually. It really isn't that big a deal
  • Reminders, contacts, email, appointments, etc: these are synced via iCloud and many other programs also sync data via iCloud. This may require that you purchase additional space
  • Documents & Other data (excluding the Library folder): there are two ways to handle this - using a cloud service such as DropBox, OneDrive, etc or software syncing

I've been a DropBox subscriber for a very long time. I have one folder on my desktop that is deliberately not synced with DropBox which holds financial records etc. I also have an encrypted disk image for less sensitive information which I do sync. But most of my data is ho-hum stuff I wouldn't mind posting on a bulletin board by the highway. This has been a great solution for me, but not everyone likes their data in the cloud.

Before DropBox came along I used a software solution. I used ChronoSync and filesharing to keep my desktop and notebook in sync. There are lots of programs that do this but ChronoSync is a backup solution that has lots of options - including the ability to sync to sources.

Synchronize iMac to Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.