Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import CD into iTunes

New Mac mini with external CD drive. When I try to import a CD into iTunes, I get the message "Error occurred while converting the file "(first track name)". An unknown error occurred (-54)

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 7, 2019 8:50 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

May 7, 2019 3:29 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks. We haven't quite fixed the problem yet, but it does indeed seem to be something to do with permissions for the iTunes folder and its subfolders.

I am trying to use an iTunes folder that I have restored from the backup of my old Mac computer.

The new computer had set up a new iTunes library folder, which I have renamed. When I tell iTunes to use that library folder (almost empty) I can happily import tracks from a CD.

But when I switch libraries to the restored backup iTunes folder from my old Mac (which seems to work OK for playing its stored music), I get the error I have reported when attempting to import a CD.

Looking at getinfo for the restored (imported) iTunes folder I can see something strange. Under Sharing & Permissions it says 'You have custom access' (this may be because I had to add myself as a user and give myself read&write access). There is also a grey user named 'Fetching...' with read&write access. Further up under General, the 'Locked' checkbox is unticked, but it is greyed out.

Looking at getinfo for the newer (but empty) iTunes folder, there is none of that nonsense. The permissions say 'You can read and write' and indeed I can. The 'Locked' checkbox is unticked but not greyed out.

• So is there a clean way to get rid of 'Fetching...' and give myself full permissions to the restored iTunes folder and its subfolders?

I have the latest Mojave OS and Disk repair doesn't seem to offer to repair permissions any more, because it isn't supposed to be needed!

• Or maybe there is a better way to restore my music collection from the backup of the old Mac?

May 8, 2019 8:29 AM in response to turingtest2

Great - very many thanks - I think we've fixed the problem! I made a new folder "new music" and within it a new "iTunes" folder. Then I copied all the contents of the restored files into it. Eventually all those unwanted Fetching...s and strange permission settings seemed to disappear. Now I can open the iTunes app, select the location of my new iTunes folder that has the restored contents in it, and - it all works. Including, of course the ripping of music CD's.

Happy :-)

Import CD into iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.