Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail: PDFs never actually download

Tearing my hair out here! With High Sierra, PDFs would not download if a Rule moved the email with the PDF to a different folder in Mail. Now with Mojave, no PDFs are downloading, even in the main folder (PDF says "Downloading..." but doesn't). Sometimes quitting Mail helps, but rarely. This has been a problem for far too long :(

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 8, 2019 1:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2019 1:40 AM

A couple things you can try…

Test from a different user account.

Test while in Safe Mode.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

11 replies

May 30, 2019 10:27 AM in response to dialabrain

Next chapter! Prior to trying Safe Mode I noticed that the particular .png files send to me via email (which showed the never-ending "Downloading..." message) to my Apple Mail occasionally do show the content, but it's random! Anyway, I tried Safe Mode, which didn't change anything: the already-sent png files remained forever downloading. I have now cancelled the Mail rule that has incoming emails saved to a different folder to see if it's the rule that's causing the problem. I'll report back.

Jun 5, 2019 12:17 AM in response to willywonty

I spoke too soon: cancelling the Rule that moves certain emails to a folder has not solved the issue. Some attachments are still featuring the never-ending download problem. It's as if High Sierra and now Mojave think these attachments are suspect - which they're not. Safe Mode was inconclusive. There are many other users suffering from this problem, but not everyone - so what can it be due to? And what's the next thing to try?

Apple Mail: PDFs never actually download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.