Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image Capture has wrong scanner model showing

I am using High Sierra OS, Image Capture and a basic Epson V39 scanner. Recently the Epson software for updating drivers popped into action and told me to update the software. I believed it and did so. But now the V39 shows up inside Image Capture as Epson V600 and it refuses to preview or scan. Just endlessly spinning cog wheel.

In Printers and Scanners Prefs, the scanner is listed correctly as a V39.

I spent an hour or more with Epson call center in Philippines, finally uninstalling everything. Doing a Finder Search does not show any other Epson names. But the problem remains. In any case, Image Capture does not require the driver anyway, as I discovered for the first time ever (so ignorant!) by plugging the scanner into my Macbook Pro which does not have any Epson drivers on it. Image Capture on the MBP worked perfectly with the V39.

Anyone have any idea what I can do to resolve this problem? I need the scanner to work on my desktop Mac Mini.

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 9, 2019 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2019 5:24 AM

I got the resolution by calling Apple Support! It involved opening the scanner via System Prefs for Printers/Scanners, something I never knew was possible. The interface that came up was part of Image Capture and it was possible to do a scan. I was told to restart the computer, open Image Capture and hey presto, there the scanner model was correctly identified! I am back to where I was before the glitch caused by Epson software updater.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2019 5:24 AM in response to lifewebb

I got the resolution by calling Apple Support! It involved opening the scanner via System Prefs for Printers/Scanners, something I never knew was possible. The interface that came up was part of Image Capture and it was possible to do a scan. I was told to restart the computer, open Image Capture and hey presto, there the scanner model was correctly identified! I am back to where I was before the glitch caused by Epson software updater.

May 9, 2019 12:19 PM in response to BDAqua

I had already re-installed the package for V39 and it made no difference, before coming to this forum. Now I have tried downloading the software specifically for Image Capture from the link you sent. No dice. Something has changed inside Image Capture making it impervious to what Epson software is installed - or not...

Thanks for your input, but you can now see why I am asking my question!

Image Capture has wrong scanner model showing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.