Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie changes letter spacing/kerning in titles?!?

Hi, all.

I'm using iMovie 10.1.11, and with the Line title, the app is adding gobs of extra spacing between letters. Does anyone know how to turn this off? It's a massive change from previous versions of iMovie, so I can't re-create the same title graphics as I've used in the past.

Changing a font's spacing seems like a mind-boggling bug, so I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong instead.

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 10, 2019 4:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2019 5:45 AM

Nope, also affects Lower Third: if you copy a title and then paste it, the pasted version has the spacing bug, too.

One workaround: cut-and-paste the desired text. It'll get pasted as some other font & size, but then you can reassign and the spacing will be fixed - so long as you don't edit the text further.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2019 5:45 AM in response to dcltdw

Nope, also affects Lower Third: if you copy a title and then paste it, the pasted version has the spacing bug, too.

One workaround: cut-and-paste the desired text. It'll get pasted as some other font & size, but then you can reassign and the spacing will be fixed - so long as you don't edit the text further.

May 10, 2019 8:37 AM in response to dcltdw

Two other posters recently had a similar problem with kerning. Here's a link to one of the threads, in the hope that something will be in there that will help you or at least define the problem.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250324330

In that thread we found that the wrap and kerning seemed to be defined by the default settings of the type when the title template is first opened for editing. Typing in the text using the default template settings, and then changing font size afterwards, seemed to resolve the kerning. Subsequent amendments seemed to mess it up again, and then one had to start over with the title.

I think that you are right. It is a bug.

-- Rich

May 15, 2019 10:02 AM in response to MiniMe2

MiniMe2,

Yes, that is a bummer. Hopefully Apple will address the bug in future versions. Until then, we are stuck with workarounds.

There probably are some title situations where the kerning doesn't matter, or where it works O.K, or where the workaround described in this thread solves it without too much fiddling. In other cases you can try making your titles in the Preview app on your Mac and overlaying them in the clips in your project. Or, if you want animated titles, you can create them in the Key Note app that is free from the app store.

-- Rich

Jun 17, 2019 11:52 PM in response to Rich839

It's a couple of big bad bugs. Everytime you edit the line, it adds to the kerning. Not just a little. The more the edits, the more the kerning increases. Also changing the font size in title has been a long standing bug. If you change one line, other lines will also change. Instead of fixing it, 10.1.11 has made it much worse, and added new ones. The kerning bug reported above (I have not found a workaround). Now the line wrapping while you edit is also different from the one you get once you are done editing.

iMovie changes letter spacing/kerning in titles?!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.