Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing iMovie themes (Filmstrip)

Hi -

I recently upgraded to Mojave on my MacBook Pro which included a new version of iMovie. I noticed the iMovie interface seems a bit different, which I guess is to expected. However, I also found that some of my favorite themes such as Filmstrip and Scrapbook were missing. I looked up online and it seems these are now only available with iMacs.

I hate it when Apple just arbitrarily does things like that. I am finding I can't even open up Filmstrip movies created in my previous iMovie app with the new App.

Has anyone found a way to be able to add these themes back to iMovie if you're using a MacBook vs. an iMac.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 10, 2019 2:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2019 3:22 PM

On my MacBook Pro, iMovie 10 does have a Filmstrip and a Scrapbook theme. I don't know whether they are identical to the themes of the same name in your previous iMovie version. (I assume iMovie 9.) To check, open a project in iMovie 10 and click on Window/Theme Chooser in the menu bar. The themes will be displayed.

Regarding accessing the projects in your previous version of iMovie, open iMovie 10 and do a File/Update Projects and Events. That will update your previous version's projects and events into the iMovie 10 library, and will store them in a special library indicated by an updated projects item in the iMovie media sidebar. You can then edit the projects in iMovie 10. Your previous iMovie version will still remain functional and usable as it was before.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2019 3:22 PM in response to quinn28

On my MacBook Pro, iMovie 10 does have a Filmstrip and a Scrapbook theme. I don't know whether they are identical to the themes of the same name in your previous iMovie version. (I assume iMovie 9.) To check, open a project in iMovie 10 and click on Window/Theme Chooser in the menu bar. The themes will be displayed.

Regarding accessing the projects in your previous version of iMovie, open iMovie 10 and do a File/Update Projects and Events. That will update your previous version's projects and events into the iMovie 10 library, and will store them in a special library indicated by an updated projects item in the iMovie media sidebar. You can then edit the projects in iMovie 10. Your previous iMovie version will still remain functional and usable as it was before.

-- Rich

Missing iMovie themes (Filmstrip)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.