Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud is Killing My Productivity. How do I make it stop?

I deeply regret ticking that little box to sync my desktop with iCloud. It has made my computer move at a glacial pace but with the heat of 1,000 suns. How can I make this all go away, quickly?

I would like to stop the syncing and get my desktop and docs back on my Mac, not stored in iCloud. It appears as if iCloud now holds my files hostage. Is this the "Hotel California" of SaaS?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me solve this fire and ice issue.

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 11, 2019 7:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2019 12:27 PM

Hi Show Up Strong Tamara,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand you're looking to keep your files on your Mac and turn off Desktop & Documents Folders in iCloud Drive. I'll be happy to help.

You have the ability to turn off Desktop & Documents Folders on your Mac, which will provide you an option to keep a local copy of your files on your Mac. A new Desktop and Documents folder is created in your home folder. For details, here's a helpful article: Turn off Desktop and Documents You'll want to specifically follow the section that says, "Turn off Desktop and Documents."

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. Have a great day!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2019 12:27 PM in response to Show Up Strong Tamara

Hi Show Up Strong Tamara,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand you're looking to keep your files on your Mac and turn off Desktop & Documents Folders in iCloud Drive. I'll be happy to help.

You have the ability to turn off Desktop & Documents Folders on your Mac, which will provide you an option to keep a local copy of your files on your Mac. A new Desktop and Documents folder is created in your home folder. For details, here's a helpful article: Turn off Desktop and Documents You'll want to specifically follow the section that says, "Turn off Desktop and Documents."

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. Have a great day!

May 12, 2019 7:36 PM in response to Show Up Strong Tamara

Not really the place for prose...

How long did you wait before the "heat of 1,000 suns" got to you?

If the original sync had not finished, that would likely explain the seeming inactivity. iCloud has been given multiple and conflicting directions. It wants to finish its first task before starting the second task.

As suggested, you can reverse your choice, but I highly suggest you wait until phase 1 has completed.

iCloud is Killing My Productivity. How do I make it stop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.