Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suddenly a couple of days ago my Mac quit loading Amazon in Safari, Chrome and Firefox

Hello, When I try to open Amazon, it takes a very long time to open and finally opens with a bunch of blue links and text and no photos of merchandise.

My MacBook pro is updated to MacOS Mojave version 10.14.4. When I first noticed this problem I cleared all Amazon related cache and cookies by going to Safari/Preferences/Privacy/Manage Website Data and entered "amazon" in the search box and removed the seven amazon-related entries that appeared. No effect. I'm not as familiar with Chrome and Firefox so haven't done it there. I wouldn't even have opened them if not to check for this problem.

When that did not work I went back and removed all website data for all sites plus I cleared history. I have force quit Safari and reopened it and restarted my mac. Several times.

I have two ISPs at my house and have tried opening Amazon on both and got the same problem. I also took my iPhone off wifi, tethered my mac to my iphone and same problem. However, Amazon looks as it should on my iPhone app and if I look it up on Safari on my iPhone.

I found this support article https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204098 supplied in response to someone else having this problem a few years ago and followed it. I checked extensions and I have none. I have no parental controls turned on.

I have not rebooted either ISP because Amazon loads fine for other family members using the same ISPs.

It's just one website and it's not the end of the world but it is annoying because I live in a rural area and use Prime to avoid car trips for necessities. Any help would be appreciated!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 12, 2019 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2019 8:28 AM

Eric Root, thank you for all your help yesterday, I learned more about my Mac following your suggestions.

It looks like I have solved my Amazon.com problem. It was Reader View. I notice yesterday that pages were loading in Reader View and considered it a minor annoyance to take care of later. And I was going to have to figure it out. I went to Safari/Preferences/Websites/Readerthis morning and saw that Amazon was a "configured" site. I removed it from that list and boom it's back. Why it affected Chrome and Foxfire I have no idea, I have checked Chrome and all is right in Amazon land there too.

I saw people coming here with this problem every few years and no one ever, that I found, came back when it was solved. Hope this helps someone else!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2019 8:28 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric Root, thank you for all your help yesterday, I learned more about my Mac following your suggestions.

It looks like I have solved my Amazon.com problem. It was Reader View. I notice yesterday that pages were loading in Reader View and considered it a minor annoyance to take care of later. And I was going to have to figure it out. I went to Safari/Preferences/Websites/Readerthis morning and saw that Amazon was a "configured" site. I removed it from that list and boom it's back. Why it affected Chrome and Foxfire I have no idea, I have checked Chrome and all is right in Amazon land there too.

I saw people coming here with this problem every few years and no one ever, that I found, came back when it was solved. Hope this helps someone else!

May 12, 2019 9:53 AM in response to MrsPaw

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

May 12, 2019 11:07 AM in response to Eric Root

I made another account with the same result from Amazon. I got into Safe Mode (and learned how to check and make sure I'm in Safe) and Amazon still will not load! So I'm assuming I should not try Etrecheck? I just have to be grateful this is not an important function. I'm planning to use this Mac to take the state bar exam in a few months so it could be much worse.

Suddenly a couple of days ago my Mac quit loading Amazon in Safari, Chrome and Firefox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.