Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

frozen screensaver - psychedelic colouring - image attached.

I have an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) which I purchased in October and which is running on Mojave. The screen saver would periodically freeze and produce a similar psychedelic appearance as the embedded photo. When I clicked the mouse or return it would go and the screen would return to normal. It is now becoming more prevalent. I was locking the screen when I left the computer but now the locked screen is freezing as well. Instead of one click on the mouse or once on the return key it now takes several clicks/presses to bring the normal screen back up. I've looked around online but have not seen anything else about this. Any ideas? Thanks.

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 16, 2019 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2019 3:19 AM

Just an update on this for anyone who comes across it with a later search. I updated my Mac - which was simple - with an additional 16gb of ram. Which put it up to 24gb of memory. Since then it does not matter which screen saver I choose it has never frozen up and there has not been any more issues. I don't know enough to say that it is 100% the memory which has done this. Suffice to say though that since the upgrade the issue has never returned.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2019 3:19 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Just an update on this for anyone who comes across it with a later search. I updated my Mac - which was simple - with an additional 16gb of ram. Which put it up to 24gb of memory. Since then it does not matter which screen saver I choose it has never frozen up and there has not been any more issues. I don't know enough to say that it is 100% the memory which has done this. Suffice to say though that since the upgrade the issue has never returned.

May 16, 2019 9:29 AM in response to penrithkevin

I think dialabrain is on the right track however we can also look to see if there is anything obvious on your system that may be causing a problem. If you would like to check that please do the following:

Please navigate to the Mac App Store and download the free version of EtreCheck OR please click www.EtreCheck.com where you will find the app. Once you downloaded the free app and created the report please post it as your reply to this message. In order to post it, please use the following link for more detailed instructions on how to correctly include the results: 

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

We can then look for obvious issues that may be causing your problem.

May 16, 2019 12:33 PM in response to penrithkevin

There are 2 issues, however I do not believe either is connected to your current problem. First is, your computer is starved for RAM and you should upgrade to 16GB or more of RAM. 8GB is considered the bare minimum to run current versions of Mac OS. If you decide to take the step to upgrade please only use RAM from either Crucial.com or Macsales.com . The reason for recommending these 2 vendors is iMacs are very sensitive to using quality RAM and both vendors have long histories of providing high quality products, reasonable prices and great service.

Next, I don't see any evidence the computer is being backed up. This is very dangerous and is an almost certain guarantee of lost date including financial information, irreplaceable music, photos, and other precious data. At a bare minimum you shoudl be using Time Machine as explained in https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250 . You will need an external HD (I recommend Macsales.com again and use their Mercury Elite Pro series of EHDs.

May 16, 2019 9:04 AM in response to penrithkevin

That one is abstract shapes - and I should have said Desktop for that one, as that freeze was on lock screen - it freezes on different screensavers. I experimented by running the random screen saver and it would freeze on different ones.

Abstract Shapes is not a default Apple screen saver so I assume it's something you downloaded. The problem might be some screen savers are no longer compatible.

May 16, 2019 1:36 PM in response to penrithkevin

If you want to get Crucial RAM, please only purchase it from Crucial.com . They make the process easy by using a configuration tool. I don't know the reseller you are referring to (I'm in the USA) and have learned from experience not all Crucial RAM is alike from resellers. This is why I recommend buying from Crucial.com direct.

As for the configuration type either 4x8GB or 2x16GB kits would be okay.

frozen screensaver - psychedelic colouring - image attached.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.