Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dead battery after water spill on my MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) and no support

I have a MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) and water spilt on it. Waited a week to switch it on, powered up and all is fine BUT battery is now completely dead and the second i disconnect the power cable, the computer switches off.

I'm in Israel so took it to the Apple franchiser (no Apple stores here) who told me that this is a 'vintage' model not supported here and they have no spare parts.

Any suggestions? Is there a repair here I can do myself? Where would I get a new battery from?

MacBook Air

Posted on May 17, 2019 1:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2019 7:41 PM

My guess is some of the electronics other than the battery has been damaged. I've repaired lots of liquid damaged MBAirs and very few of the batteries were actually damaged.

If you were going to try repairing it yourself, you would need to completely disassemble the laptop and examine each part for signs of liquid damage, liquid residue, and corrosion. It can sometimes be very difficult locating this damage especially on some connectors. For minor damage, sometimes the boards can be cleaned of the liquid residue and corrosion using Isopropyl Alcohol and a toothbrush, but if a connector has been damaged, then the board and cable need to be replaced. Several connectors on the MBAirs are very easily damaged/broken. Extreme care must be taken when cleaning the boards as the tiny surface mount components can be easily broken off.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2019 7:41 PM in response to wmarland

My guess is some of the electronics other than the battery has been damaged. I've repaired lots of liquid damaged MBAirs and very few of the batteries were actually damaged.

If you were going to try repairing it yourself, you would need to completely disassemble the laptop and examine each part for signs of liquid damage, liquid residue, and corrosion. It can sometimes be very difficult locating this damage especially on some connectors. For minor damage, sometimes the boards can be cleaned of the liquid residue and corrosion using Isopropyl Alcohol and a toothbrush, but if a connector has been damaged, then the board and cable need to be replaced. Several connectors on the MBAirs are very easily damaged/broken. Extreme care must be taken when cleaning the boards as the tiny surface mount components can be easily broken off.

Dead battery after water spill on my MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) and no support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.