Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to view movies without moving mouse constantly

First time attempting to watch a purchased and downloaded movie with macOS 10.14.5 and iTunes 12.9.5.5. Never had a problem prior to this with previous versions.

Now, no matter which movie I try to watch, if I don't constantly keep the Magic Mouse 2 moving around, there's sound, but only a black screen. Move the mouse, video instantly appears. Stop moving the mouse, black screen.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Edit: Seems it only happens in Full Screen view. When it goes to hide the on-screen controls, it also hides the picture. Works fine in windowed-mode. Annoying, to say the least!

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 17, 2019 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2019 3:52 AM

I have the same problem, on a new Mac mini. Movies will play full screen if I put the cursor at the top (so the menu bar is visible) but not if it's anywhere else. They play fine while the controls are visible and then go blank (black screen) when the controls hide. This is in QuickTime and BBC iPlayer Downloads, but not in VLC.

Have rebooted, deleted QT preferences, changed display settings to scaled at different resolutions, etc.

If I access the machine remotely via Share Screen it doesn't happen – it plays 'full screen' fine in the window on the remote computer.

This seems to be the same as reported on another thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250376886

Anyone else getting this?

Similar questions

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2019 3:52 AM in response to SoldOnMac

I have the same problem, on a new Mac mini. Movies will play full screen if I put the cursor at the top (so the menu bar is visible) but not if it's anywhere else. They play fine while the controls are visible and then go blank (black screen) when the controls hide. This is in QuickTime and BBC iPlayer Downloads, but not in VLC.

Have rebooted, deleted QT preferences, changed display settings to scaled at different resolutions, etc.

If I access the machine remotely via Share Screen it doesn't happen – it plays 'full screen' fine in the window on the remote computer.

This seems to be the same as reported on another thread:

Anyone else getting this?

May 26, 2019 7:42 AM in response to SoldOnMac

I have the exact same issue on a Mac mini 2018 running Mojave 10.14.5 (which includes iTunes 12.9.5.5): when trying to play movies full screen in iTunes, the screen will go black - unless I keep the on-screen control bar in the bottom visible or move the mouse (which amounts to the same).

I had no problem on Mojave 10.14.4 - this is a bug that was introduced in 10.14.5.

See https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250382242

My Mac mini 2012, also on Mojave 10.14.5, does not have this problem.

There are several others with the same problem, where Mojave 10.14.5 and Mac mini are the common factors.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250379316

I tried contacting Apple Support. You can apparently not email them, but you can request them to call you via the support pages. That is what I did. I got an email from them confirming they got my support request (with ticket number). But even though their support pages state that they will call you back within 2 minutes, I am still waiting for their call now 3 hours later...

May 20, 2019 1:36 AM in response to SoldOnMac

Relieved to see it's not just me having this issue. I had no issues watching iTunes content until I updated this past weekend to Mojave 10.14.5/iTunes 12.9.5.5. Also, I have zero issues watching full screen content via browser streaming. Also running a new mac mini. Scared me for a minute, but it has to be a bug with the new update. Hoping to see results soon!

May 22, 2019 7:41 PM in response to SoldOnMac

I have the same problem, and also on a new Mac Mini, which seems common to the other reports. It only began after the recent macOS and iTunes upgrade. I noticed after a complete shutdown and unplugging of the Mini that it seemed to be operating normally - but it lasted less than a minute, and then back to every few seconds. Some kind of caching issue?

May 29, 2019 12:54 PM in response to ZumbaEric

I just chatted with support and here's the latest update:

"this issue is being investigated by our engineers. Their notes for this issue was to make sure and keep your Mac updated as the fix for this issue will come in an update, and the best work around for this issue at this time would be to watch the movies in non-full screen."

So it looks like in the next MacOS update (hopefully soon) the issue will be resolved :)

Jul 6, 2019 7:41 PM in response to SoldOnMac

I was onto Apple Support for this very problem with a new Mac Mini. It had an OS update and won't play full screen video in QuickTime. When I shared my screen with the Apple Tech Support the problem mysteriously vanished. I thought I had found a solution, as in the meantime, waiting for Apple Support, I installed VLC. Now I now that the shared screen feature stops QucikTime from going black. It's July now, I was thinking a simple fix like this would have been pushed along a bit faster... I will be back onto Apple Support again and give them this URL. I was really hoping Apple would be more responsive to such a serious flaw in its own application!

Jul 7, 2019 2:08 AM in response to landscape_artist

Hello landscape_artist

Thank you for your post. But I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Do you mean the problem with QuickTime disappears while using screen sharing? As was reported in this thread by _Alex_Dennis_? But that is obviously not a fix.

Or do you mean that activating the Screen Sharing option under "Sharing" in System Preferences solves your problem?

Because the latter does definitely not solve my iTunes/QuickTime problem...

Still waiting for a fix...

Cheers

AstroWout

Jul 7, 2019 9:50 AM in response to landscape_artist

I have been in contact with Apple Support and they have no record of this problem... I sent them this webpage and a video of the movie and the fading UI and then the blank screen, wiggle mouse, screen back etc Apple Support also took a system dump at the same time. Apple Support said they will get back to me in two business days with a resolution. FingersX that it'll get fixed :-)

Unable to view movies without moving mouse constantly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.