Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

v10.14.5 update seems to have disabled full screen video expansion on the mac?

the new 10.14.5 update which adding another mac to airplay tv capability seems to have hijacked ability to take a video to full screen on the mac? the 'expand to full screen' function for videos no longer seems to work after my update to 10.14.5? is this an issue or just an update error that happened to me?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 21, 2019 1:55 PM

Similar questions

16 replies

May 26, 2019 7:44 AM in response to macinsale33

I have the exact same issue on a Mac mini 2018 running Mojave 10.14.5 (which includes iTunes 12.9.5.5): when trying to play movies full screen in iTunes, the screen will go black - unless I keep the on-screen control bar in the bottom visible or move the mouse (which amounts to the same).

I had no problem on Mojave 10.14.4 - this is a bug that was introduced in 10.14.5.

See https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250382242

My Mac mini 2012, also on Mojave 10.14.5, does not have this problem.

There are several others with the same problem, where Mojave 10.14.5 and Mac mini are the common factors.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250368946

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250379316

I tried contacting Apple Support. You can apparently not email them, but you can request them to call you via the support pages. That is what I did. I got an email from them confirming they got my support request (with ticket number). But even though their support pages state that they will call you back within 2 minutes, I am still waiting for their call now 3 hours later...

May 22, 2019 2:20 AM in response to macinsale33

I have the same problem, on a new Mac mini. Movies will play full screen if I put the cursor at the top (so the menu bar is visible) but not if it's anywhere else. They play fine while the controls are visible and then go blank (black screen) when the controls hide. This is in QuickTime and BBC iPlayer Downloads, but not in VLC.

Have rebooted, deleted QT preferences, changed display settings to scaled at different resolutions, etc.

If I access the machine remotely via Share Screen it doesn't happen – it plays 'full screen' fine in the window on the remote computer.

Anyone else getting this?

May 22, 2019 12:17 PM in response to _Alex_Dennis_

I'm having the exact issue. But only recently, since the 10.14.5 update. If I take any video fullscreen in Quicktime, as soon as the controls fade away, the screen goes black. And the video reappears if I move the mouse to bring the controls back up. This was not an issue previously. And I have an external drive that still has 10.14.3 on it and if I boot from that I have no issues with video playback.

May 29, 2019 12:53 PM in response to macinsale33

I just chatted with support and here's the latest update:

"this issue is being investigated by our engineers. Their notes for this issue was to make sure and keep your Mac updated as the fix for this issue will come in an update, and the best work around for this issue at this time would be to watch the movies in non-full screen."

So it looks like in the next MacOS update (hopefully soon) the issue will be resolved :)

v10.14.5 update seems to have disabled full screen video expansion on the mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.