Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound when trying to play Atmos on ATV 4k

I can play Atmos BluRay discs no problem but when I try to play Netflix or iTunes content with Apple TV I get no sound unless I turn off Atmos. I have Apple TV 4k connected via HDMI to Yamaha RX-A2040 and HDMI out to Samsung 1080p TV. If I switch to 5.1 on Apple TV the sound is fine but only 5.1 channels, if I turn off Atmos on Apple TV and I will get 7.1. I'm not sure what is going on since I know my receiver can play Atmos from a BluRay disc why not from Apple TV?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 12

Posted on May 19, 2019 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2019 5:08 AM

Dolby Atmos can be encoded as Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, or Dolby MAT (Metadata-enhanced Audio Transmission). Apple TV uses the latter, which is pre-decoded as PCM with Atmos metadata when it goes to the HDMI port. I suppose the AVR would need to recognize and interpret that correctly.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-for-the-home-theater.pdf

(Apparently e.g. Xbox One does Dolby MAT too.)

• Be sure to hook up the Apple TV directly to the receiver, as the ARC’s reverse direction won’t have the needed bandwidth.
  • Be sure to use HDMI cables with enough bandwidth (rated 18 Gbps).
  • Verify with Yamaha that Dolby Atmos MAT (PCM+Atmos metadata) is supported by your receiver.
  • Verify that your receiver has up-to-date firmware.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2019 5:08 AM in response to Tedster in MN

Dolby Atmos can be encoded as Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, or Dolby MAT (Metadata-enhanced Audio Transmission). Apple TV uses the latter, which is pre-decoded as PCM with Atmos metadata when it goes to the HDMI port. I suppose the AVR would need to recognize and interpret that correctly.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-for-the-home-theater.pdf

(Apparently e.g. Xbox One does Dolby MAT too.)

• Be sure to hook up the Apple TV directly to the receiver, as the ARC’s reverse direction won’t have the needed bandwidth.
  • Be sure to use HDMI cables with enough bandwidth (rated 18 Gbps).
  • Verify with Yamaha that Dolby Atmos MAT (PCM+Atmos metadata) is supported by your receiver.
  • Verify that your receiver has up-to-date firmware.

May 21, 2019 6:29 AM in response to Urquhart1244

I do have same problem with my Apple TV 4K and Yamaha RX-A3040, apparently the comments above are not really valid and pointing towards issue with receiver, and there have been number of posts and issues reported on different forums with the same issue, and specific bug report for Apple has been created, as there are some missing flags in the Atmos stream sent to receiver from ATV. This needs to be fixed by Apple, however so far nothing has been done which is very disappointing and frustrating.

Below is the copy of the bug report from another forum, with specifics - additionally I will clarify that TV OS version below is the older one as I have the newest and the issue is still there.

--------------

Non-compliant Atmos stream / lack of channel status information

According to Yamaha, PCM/Atmos streams are apparently non-compliant due to the source device (Apply TV) not transmitting channel status information. This is causing total signal failures on multiple devices (known to occur on Yamaha, Pioneer, and Onkyo amplifiers, have replicated on Yamaha RX-V2077 / RX-A1040 / RX-A2040 / RX-A3040). Replication details are below:

Summary:

Atmos streams sent from Netflix by the Apple TV 4K to the Yamaha RX-VX077 / RX-AX040 series of amplifiers fail to be recognised or decoded. When Atmos is set to "on" within the Apple TV settings and an Atmos media source is selected for playback (e.g. Lost in Space on Netflix), the amplifier fails to recognise the signal as a valid Atmos stream. The amplifier is Atmos certified and files and disc-based media played from other devices (e.g. WD-TV via SMB, Blu-ray discs with native content) are successfully recognised and decoded as an Atmos track by the amplifier.

Turning Atmos compatibility off within the Apple TV settings re-enables audio but is only recognised as a PCM track with no Atmos compatibility.

Steps to Reproduce:

Enable Atmos compatibility within the Apple TV 4K settings. Play an Atmos-enabled media source and output the audio to the Yamaha amplifier.

Expected Results:

The resulting audio track should be recognised as an Atmos track by the amplifier and decoded with positional metadata.

Actual Results:

The amplifier fails to recognise the soundtrack and outputs no audio.

Version/Build:

Apple TV 4K (tvOS 12.0.1). Amplifier firmware release 1.98.

Configuration:

See above.

No sound when trying to play Atmos on ATV 4k

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.