Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

erased my Macintosh hd

I accidentally erased my Macintosh hd on MacBook Air and now I can’t reinstall my Mac OS. I can’t mount it and when I try first aid...it says failed. In the Mac OS utility I press reinstall Mac OS and only see bootcamp windows. When i restart my Mac I only see a prohibitory sign.

what should I do...please help

thanks

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 19, 2019 10:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2019 12:55 AM

You may have to use macOS Recovery and if the partition for Recovery itself has been deleted

first restore that, to regain a place for Mac OS; then later BootCamp to re-install WindowsOS.

A complete erasure usually removes all partitions including BootCamp, unless Windows utility

had been used to erase; then what you now have could be a symptom of the WinOS utility.

Hopefully you have backups; and a separate backup to restore Windows would be made due

to non-useful (for WinOS) Time Machine working only for the Mac w/ macOS. Separate backup

hardware external drives would normally be used for the Mac OS ~ and partitioned for HFS+

although later High Sierra & Mojave could use the newest Apple partition map. Backups, not.

• About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

This may be more helpful with other information and install keyboard commands for options.

Later macOS systems already installed, make the need for different (past original) commands.

How to re-install macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Details here can be very important; where you had backups from macOS, apply them as stated.

You should be able to use Time Machine backups for the macOS portion; separate WinOS backup

to be used Windows. ~ Or if you had 'external boot-capable drive' with WinOS clone, you may use

it separate; choose keyboard options (at later time) to select a different drive to start from.

The Boot Camp software in macOS can properly re-create a useful partition for Windows OS and

instigate correct re-installation for integrated dual boot capable success in Apple hardware.

For best flexibility and driver support in Mac hardware, you may consider re-use of Boot Camp for

WinOS installation; although windowsOS users have made single boot Macs or run WinOS separate.

I've no experience with WinOS in Mac hardware; seldom use any other than Apple systems.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2019 12:55 AM in response to ItsArhaan

You may have to use macOS Recovery and if the partition for Recovery itself has been deleted

first restore that, to regain a place for Mac OS; then later BootCamp to re-install WindowsOS.

A complete erasure usually removes all partitions including BootCamp, unless Windows utility

had been used to erase; then what you now have could be a symptom of the WinOS utility.

Hopefully you have backups; and a separate backup to restore Windows would be made due

to non-useful (for WinOS) Time Machine working only for the Mac w/ macOS. Separate backup

hardware external drives would normally be used for the Mac OS ~ and partitioned for HFS+

although later High Sierra & Mojave could use the newest Apple partition map. Backups, not.

• About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

This may be more helpful with other information and install keyboard commands for options.

Later macOS systems already installed, make the need for different (past original) commands.

How to re-install macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Details here can be very important; where you had backups from macOS, apply them as stated.

You should be able to use Time Machine backups for the macOS portion; separate WinOS backup

to be used Windows. ~ Or if you had 'external boot-capable drive' with WinOS clone, you may use

it separate; choose keyboard options (at later time) to select a different drive to start from.

The Boot Camp software in macOS can properly re-create a useful partition for Windows OS and

instigate correct re-installation for integrated dual boot capable success in Apple hardware.

For best flexibility and driver support in Mac hardware, you may consider re-use of Boot Camp for

WinOS installation; although windowsOS users have made single boot Macs or run WinOS separate.

I've no experience with WinOS in Mac hardware; seldom use any other than Apple systems.

erased my Macintosh hd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.