Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud and documents

I just stored my files and documents on iCloud. I tried to uncheck that option because I want to keep everything on my MacBook - I'm not ready to have everything on the cloud. Now it says if I do that, all my files on my MacBook will be deleted. I don't want to lose everything - I just want to go back a step and reclaim all my files on my MacBook. I feel like I've just lost control over everything and have no way to get it back! Can someone explain how this works to me?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 20, 2019 5:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2019 9:10 AM

They will be available on iCloud to download.

However, if you disable iCloud Drive itself, not just Desktop and Documents, you will be given an opportunity to download everything first to your hard drive.

You can then re-enable iCloud Drive WITHOUT desktop and Documents to get back to where you want.

See >>> https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT206985

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2019 9:10 AM in response to csorbet

They will be available on iCloud to download.

However, if you disable iCloud Drive itself, not just Desktop and Documents, you will be given an opportunity to download everything first to your hard drive.

You can then re-enable iCloud Drive WITHOUT desktop and Documents to get back to where you want.

See >>> https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT206985

May 22, 2019 12:16 AM in response to singh49asda

Thank you for responding so quickly and for the link. I will try that out soon and see how it goes.

What about iPhotos? Some of them have uploaded to the cloud and I want to be sure I still have copies on my MacBook as well. I have the option in iPhoto to automatically download originals to this mac selected but it's confusing. I'd like to undo that process as well and reclaim control. I've stopped uploading for now while I figure all of this out. Any feedback on photos would be appreciated. Thanks.

iCloud and documents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.