Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store

When I signed out of my old iTunes account and signed in with a new one, I went to the App Store to try and update an app, but it asked for the password to my old one. What should I do?

iPhone XS, iOS 12

Posted on May 21, 2019 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2019 7:33 AM

Put in the old password. If you don't remember it, use Apple's iForgot service or contact their Account Security team.

If desired, you can delete and redownload the application instead, but this will require repurchasing paid ones, and for iOS applications, will delete their data.

(171760)

2 replies

May 21, 2019 7:32 AM in response to rory265

Purchases like Movies, TV shows, books and Apps are forever tied to the Apple ID that bought them.

In the case of Apps they will always require the Apple ID and password that bought / downloaded them to update.

Unless there's a overwhelmingly good reason to create a new Apple Id, it should be avoided.

You can choose to keep using the old Apple ID so you can continue to update the Apps, or delete the Apps and re-download them with the new Apple ID.

App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.