Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot pair my new apple watch with my iphone

Tried pairing my iPhone with a new Apple Watch (series 3) that I've unboxed today.

Its charged, its on my wrist and it show the cloud of pixels when it starts the pairing process. However, the iPhone almost immediately shows "Pairing Failed" and "Your Apple Watch couldn't pair with your iPhone.

I'm running iOS 12.3 and the Watch app was installed from the App Store today (no version seems to show in the App Store)

iPhone 6s, iOS 12

Posted on May 24, 2019 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2019 8:07 AM

Thanks, yes I'd checked bluetooth was on, tried different wifi connections as well as with wifi off - just with my carrier's 3G. I now realise that's pointless.

I think I've solved it now. I've uninstalled the Covenant Eyes app (which provides a VPN to filter some explicit web content). This was probably the issue as after a reboot of the phone it's now working.

Shame the next thing is waiting 11 hours for the watch OS to update! Any way I can make this faster??

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2019 8:07 AM in response to mbj00

Thanks, yes I'd checked bluetooth was on, tried different wifi connections as well as with wifi off - just with my carrier's 3G. I now realise that's pointless.

I think I've solved it now. I've uninstalled the Covenant Eyes app (which provides a VPN to filter some explicit web content). This was probably the issue as after a reboot of the phone it's now working.

Shame the next thing is waiting 11 hours for the watch OS to update! Any way I can make this faster??

May 24, 2019 7:45 AM in response to seymour_b

Hi there,

Some troubleshooting steps you can try is making sure that bluetooth is enabled, and your wifi is turned on and connected or you have decent cell service. If these both work the next thing I would try is holding the power button and home button until the iPhone restarts and shows the apple symbol. You can also try doing the same with your watch by holding the side button.

Hope that one of these solutions works, more info below:

How to restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support

May 24, 2019 8:10 AM in response to seymour_b

Ah okay nice one, the VPN must have been filtering the apple watch server by accident. Afraid there is no way of getting it to update any faster other than trying to leave your phone as close to your router as possible for best connection, or finding somewhere with faster wifi...

Personally my home wifi is very slow but institutions tend to have a leased line so speeds at the local library and college are very fast.

I cannot pair my new apple watch with my iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.