Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk First Aid finds corruption the 2nd time it's run after restart. Every time. Every user.

I get the message that Disk First aid has found corruption and needs to be repaired when running it on my main hard drive on my brand new MacBook Pro (running Mohave). I then do as it says and run the repair from Recovery, which never finds anything wrong nor fixes anything. When I then go back and run it from any user the corruption is still there.

I finally figured out that it isn't running a repair from Recovery that temporarily fixes the corruption, it's the simple fact of restarting. So, if I run disk utility immediately after a restart, (whether in repair or in any user account) it finds nothing. If I immediately run it again, or switch to another user and run it again, it will find the corruption. Note when I look in the details about the corruption there is nothing listed as wrong.

I have been having difficulty with this Mac since I got it (just out of the return period unfortunately) and I am trying to figure out what is wrong. I have uninstalled all non-mac apps except Roboform, I have zapped everything that can be zapped, I have had it crash in safe mode, I have run diagnostics with apple tech support and found nothing, I have reinstalled the system.

Any advice appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 26, 2019 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2019 9:55 AM

You do not say what exact Mac /model /year /size /retina /touchbar is this

or

what exact macOS you are currently running?

The 13" non-Touchbar has a Service Program for faulty hardrive.

https://www.apple.com/support/13-inch-macbook-pro-solid-state-drive-service-program/

Similar questions

14 replies

May 26, 2019 10:21 AM in response to tanstaafl_42

@tanstaafl_42, Thanks for the information about everything checking as fine immediately after a restart. That is very interesting.

The APFS file system which Mojave uses is still very new and Apple seems to be still working out the kinks with it. Unfortunately Apple has not provided the necessary APFS technical documentation so third party utilities can repair the file system. Apple's Disk Utility has never been very good at repairing anything but the most basic file system issues even with HFS+. Designing & implementing a stable file system does take time and lots of testing.

May 26, 2019 6:43 PM in response to tanstaafl_42

Your testing makes me think it is just a bug with macOS or Disk Utility which I hope Apple will fix some day.

Just keep in mind that SSDs can fail at any time without any warning so make sure to have good verified working backups in case the SSD dies. It is also much more difficult to recover data from a bad SSD even for a professional data recovery service due to the way SSDs work internally.

Jun 10, 2019 10:29 PM in response to tanstaafl_42

Have you resolved this? I’m having the EXACT SAME issue, and I’ve tested it at *

*least* ten times (I’ve lost count at this point) using a variety of Recovery and First Aid methods/procedures and nothing’s worked so far. Most of the forums with users experiencing something similar (recurring attempts at running first aid in recovery, restarting, and running first aid again) don’t seem to be facing the issue of First Aid finding nothing when it’s run immediately after restart followed by the corruption message/issue reappearing when running First Aid a second time post-restart. But the same thing you’ve described here is happening to me, in the same order. Like you (unless I’ve misunderstood), I’ve been running First Aid four times per test in the attempt to resolve this issue, and I do it in this order: (1) Run First Aid in normal startup mode, the process completes in less than 20 seconds to inform me of the corruption and to recommend repairing disk in Recovery mode; (2) run First Aid in Recovery mode, as advised by Disk Utility after the last First Aid run, and all checks out—*while in Recovery*—supposedly; (3) run First Aid again immediately after restarting in normal mode—everything supposedly checks out; (4) run First Aid one more time in normal mode immediately after the last run is completed, just to double check that things are ok now. They’re not.

I’m using a 2018 15-inch MBPro (which comes with the touchbar) and am running Mojave. This laptop is hardly a month old!

Jul 24, 2019 2:50 PM in response to becscheong

Exact same issue here too. Macbook Pro 2018 15'' w/ Touchbar. Honestly, this computer has been a nasty headache for me from almost day one...

I don't want to say I regret buying it, but each day it gets closer to that...

The update bugs, the performance issues, the hardware conflicts (wifi vs. USB-C dongles and cables). It's a $2500 machine, for crying out loud, not a 400 buck piece of s***.

Such a shame, Apple. Such a shame...

Jul 29, 2019 3:03 PM in response to tanstaafl_42

Okay, thank god I've found someone who's had the same problem. So guess what i've done...

I got a new 2019 Macbook pro with touch bar 512GB about 3 months ago on amazon. My laptop all of a sudden started up Siri and then turned itself off which was weird. I ran first aid and it said everything was okay. I ran it again just to make sure everything was okay, but then it said there was a corruption. I called up Amazon who asked me to send it back to have it fixed and they returned it back and said there was no fault. I ran my test again and the same problem was there. The second time I clicked it, it came up again. I called up Amazon fuming saying, you said it was fixed but it's not, so I sent it back for a full refund. I bought the same laptop from a different retailer (today in fact) and tried a test just to make sure aaaand...guess what. Second time, it came up.

Thank god I've found this thread, because this was driving me mad but surely, SURELY, this has to be some kind of bug or something if you guys are experiencing the same thing. This is a snazzy, expensive bit of kit so I totally understand why you'd be worried, or in my case ******. I'm hoping this gets sorted out because 2 laptops down, it's a recurring problem. Hope you find solace in the fact you got someone else experiencing the same crap.

Oct 3, 2019 6:46 PM in response to bigflred1975

What on earth is an operating issue? It can literally be anything.

That doesn't even narrow it down to either a software problem or a hardware problem...

Forgive my curiosity, but did you actually contact Apple Support? And if you did, was that all they said about it?

From my experience, the issue is present in my Macbook Pro 15'' 2018 and extends to my Macbook Air i7 2017 (older model with the silver frame around the screen, the A1466). They both run Mojave 10.14.6.

So I'm guessing it's software/Mojave related...

Oct 12, 2019 3:17 AM in response to tanstaafl_42

Aaaand now it will never be considered an issue... But it most probably is.

Just like the upper left USB port that, before the 10.14.1 Mojave update, showed a 432 Wattage (it should be 86) in System Information. Until it was solved, Apple also said it was fine and I shouldn't worry. Guess what? It wasn't fine... Had I used the port for something other than charging during the time I was waiting for a solution, and I would've probably ruined some devices.

This disk corruption error sounds like something waiting to happen.

Disk First Aid finds corruption the 2nd time it's run after restart. Every time. Every user.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.