Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic clips and distorts to outrageous volumes randomly

I'm running Logic on an iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017) with a 3.6 GHz Intel Core i7 and 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Suddenly (as of a few days ago) on numerous projects, if I let it play for about 15 seconds, it will clip at well above 700 dB (even on a project with an average output of about 1.6 dB) and the audio will essentially be muted or distorted beyond comprehension if I let it continue to play. I would think it is a problem with the CPU handling the playback, but it happens on multiple projects, simple or complex, and normally my computer can handle an enormous amount of complexity in Logic files without issues. Has anyone else run into this? I can't seem to find any similar cases online.

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 28, 2019 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2019 12:42 PM

1. What is your audio interface?
  2. What does the CPU meter tell you when this happens?
  3. What is your buffer size? Have you tried increasing it?
  4. If you have or if you are at max buffer (1024), try freezing CPU heavy tracks (complex synths, any instrument with many internal effects working (especially reverb).

I do get this as well, it is what appears to happen in 10.4.4 when an overload is near.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2019 12:42 PM in response to Eddie5150

1. What is your audio interface?
  2. What does the CPU meter tell you when this happens?
  3. What is your buffer size? Have you tried increasing it?
  4. If you have or if you are at max buffer (1024), try freezing CPU heavy tracks (complex synths, any instrument with many internal effects working (especially reverb).

I do get this as well, it is what appears to happen in 10.4.4 when an overload is near.

Logic clips and distorts to outrageous volumes randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.