Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 7 aux isn’t working

I bought an iPhone 7 on eBay and it didn’t come with the lighting dongle and only came with what looked to be apple headphones but they’re “Bluetooth” headphones that connect through lightning cablE but then you have to turn Bluetooth on. I plugged in a dongle I had with aux headphones and it’s not recognizing the headphones at all. I messaged the seller and they say oh it’s bluetooth only.

Can anyone shed some light on if the aux should be working and does iPhone even come with “bluetooth” headphones with a lightning cable. They seem to be fake not genuine. I think the seller purposely took the dongle our so I don’t try an aux cord or are they right it’s bluetooth only?

iPhone 7

Posted on May 29, 2019 6:02 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

May 29, 2019 6:39 AM in response to Surath666

Surath666 wrote:

It says Bluetooth on the box and to turn them on I have to use Bluetooth otherwise it plays through phone speakers. That’s how the lightning headphones work?

No, Bluetooth is a wire less connection (ie using no wires), Lightning employs a physical connection, ie the wire or cable, just as a standard audio jack would.

Find a set of earphones that have the Lightning plug (standard with all iPhone following removal of the audio jack socket) and plug into the Lightning Port, audio should automatically switch from speaker to earphones, if it doesn’t there may be an issue.

May 29, 2019 6:27 AM in response to Surath666

It’s appears the seller may have purposely held back the Lightning dongle because of an issue with audio through the devices Lightning port, and the reply “It’s Bluetooth only” may be confirming that suspicion.

If they didn’t mention the lack of Lightning audio in the description you could go back to eBay and raise a dispute.

Basically, audio on iPhone should be possible via the internal speaker, earphone jack (if available), Lightning Port (for Lightning plugged earphones and via dongle), Bluetooth (ie wireless) and AirPlay (via WiFi, again wireless).

May 29, 2019 6:33 AM in response to SiHancox

Thank you this was very helpful. I also noticed the headphones after inspecting more are definitely fake apple ones. There’s no apple logo on case for headphones. They were trying to trick me saying it’s not compatible with aux and Bluetooth only and definitely left out the dongle on purpose hoping I wouldn’t notice.

sad story but luckily I bought it from eBay and seller will have to take back.

Thank you guys for the responses, I know not to make that mistake again lol.

May 29, 2019 8:58 AM in response to Surath666

None of that is Apple, and although Bluetooth is on the box the plug is Lightning, as previously stated they are totally different and subsequently work differently.

Not wanting to change your mind with respect to returning the device, but you can’t rely on the third party Lightning cable/plug to test whether the Lightning Port is working correctly with regards to audio, for that you really need to use an approved Lightning earphone.

Whatever, it appears the seller hasn’t been all that forthcoming, so you shouldn’t really trust anything stated in my opinion.

My iPhone 7 aux isn’t working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.