Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use CarPlay without charging

Is there a way to use Carplay connecting via USB cable without charging the phone at the same time? I would like to preserve the battery life and I'm in and out of my car frequently and don't want the constant stop/start charging to the battery, but I use the Maps constantly so I need it plugged in for CarPlay. Is there a way to disable charging but still have CarPlay work at the same time?

iPhone XR

Posted on May 30, 2019 5:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2019 1:55 PM

That’s one of the great features of lithium ion battery technology over older NiMH. Lithium batteries are not bothered at all by frequent partial discharges and charges. In fact, doing so and keeping the battery over 40%-50% charge much or most of the time will actually help prolong a lithium battery.

I have chargers in my car, office, home and carry one in my laptop bag and use them whenever convenient to do so throughout the day. My iPhone and iPad batteries routinely last me 3 to 5 years.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2019 1:55 PM in response to solitaryshel

That’s one of the great features of lithium ion battery technology over older NiMH. Lithium batteries are not bothered at all by frequent partial discharges and charges. In fact, doing so and keeping the battery over 40%-50% charge much or most of the time will actually help prolong a lithium battery.

I have chargers in my car, office, home and carry one in my laptop bag and use them whenever convenient to do so throughout the day. My iPhone and iPad batteries routinely last me 3 to 5 years.

How to use CarPlay without charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.