Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is "use this application to open all documents" dimmed on my new iMac version 10.14.5?

Hi,

I would like to make Pages my default application when opening my Word documents on my new iMac. However, when I highlight a Word doc and open up GET INFO > "open with" and "use this application to open all documents" is dimmed. I am using Mojave version 10.14.5?

Your assistance is appreciated!

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 2, 2019 3:43 PM

5 replies

Jun 2, 2019 4:58 PM in response to Maya7

I got that. I was merely offering a potential reason why it is not working.

I can't replicate your problem no matter what I try. Not having Pages is the only thing I could think of that would prevent changing the default application.

You might try resetting the Launch Services database, but I don't know if that will help:

https://eclecticlight.co/2017/08/11/launch-services-database-problems-correcting-and-rebuilding/

Does the popup menu show App Store… and Other…, but Change All… is disabled?

If so, that would indicate the OS doesn't recognize Pages as able to open Word docs. Resetting Launch Services may remedy that.

You could also just choose Other and find Pages. Then, Change All should be available.

Why is "use this application to open all documents" dimmed on my new iMac version 10.14.5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.