Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages crashes when I paste text from email (gmail)

Hello Mac World,

Recently, I have been trying to copy text from an email (gmail) and paste it into Pages. For some reason when I do this it crashes Pages. I can copy a few lines, sometimes, without it crashing but very rare. I have tried to copy and paste a few lines at a time but can't get through the document I'm trying to paste.

Not sure if this matters but the information I'm trying to copy and paste includes URL hot links and embedded icons. It will copy text with a few of these but again will crash after too many.

• Using Pages 8.0 (doesn't appear to have an update)
  • macOS Mojave 10.14.5

Thanks

Steve

Posted on Jun 4, 2019 8:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2019 12:11 PM

Pages 8.0 has absolutely no support for HTML and CSS when pasted into it — principally because it cannot export in that format either, unlike MS Word. You may have to try Paste, or Paste and Match Style into TextEdit first, then copy/paste that content into Pages 8.0 as rich text format (RTF). TextEdit can output minimal HTML content, so will support some content whereas Pages 8 will not.

Once Pages crashes on you, you must press and hold the shift-key (once) while launching it afterwards, so it does not reload the crud that crashed it again.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2019 12:11 PM in response to WittFreely

Pages 8.0 has absolutely no support for HTML and CSS when pasted into it — principally because it cannot export in that format either, unlike MS Word. You may have to try Paste, or Paste and Match Style into TextEdit first, then copy/paste that content into Pages 8.0 as rich text format (RTF). TextEdit can output minimal HTML content, so will support some content whereas Pages 8 will not.

Once Pages crashes on you, you must press and hold the shift-key (once) while launching it afterwards, so it does not reload the crud that crashed it again.

Pages crashes when I paste text from email (gmail)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.