Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacMini 2018 bluetooth issues when USB devices used?

Hello, I've got a new MacMini 2018 (Macmini8,1), a Logitech MX Master and K78 mouse/keyboard, and a pair of bluetooth Sennheiser Urbanite XL headphones. I'm using the USB-A dongle that came with the Keyboard/mouse and the headphones are attached to macOS via built-in bluetooth.

I've found that If I plug in a device into the second USB-A port on the MacMini, the mouse/keyboard inputs start to stutter and the headphones will start to cut out like I've wandered out of range. If I unplug the device, the wireless issues goes away immediately.

I've tried resetting bluetooth, erase/reinstall macOS Mojave, replacing the batteries, and swapping the dongle/device between the Mini's 2 USB-A ports.

Do I have a short in my new Mini?

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 4, 2019 4:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2019 4:46 PM

USB 3 cables and devices are known to cause Bluetooth and Wi-Fi interference issues. You can try rerouting the cables or using USB cables with better shielding, but in the end you may find that putting the Bluetooth dongle on the end a USB extension cable will work the best.

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 4, 2019 11:08 PM in response to Sonic84

You’re not limited to the USB-A ports: the Thunderbolt ports work equally well with USB C-A adapters available for < $5 on eBay. So, try distancing the second device by hooking it to a Thunderbolt port and away from USB-A. If that doesn’t work (try as many combinations of ports as possible including connecting both to Thunderbolt), you could consider ditching the Logitechs for Apple Magics and let the mini manage all your Bluetooth devices. Good luck.

Jun 5, 2019 12:00 AM in response to hcsitas

hcsitas said:

You’re not limited to the USB-A ports: the Thunderbolt ports work equally well with USB C-A adapters available for < $5 on eBay.

———

On a tough note, based on my own experience(s), I would stay away from eBay purchases, when it comes to Apple-compatible products. These purchased items may never work, they may never be returnable, and, moreover, may never be able to transfer ownership, if an option.

Perhaps a retailer(preferably Apple) is best? Keep a proof of purchase from whomever the seller is, should the device be faulty, go bad, or should you choose to return it.

MacMini 2018 bluetooth issues when USB devices used?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.