Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2018 Mac mini bluetooth interference problems

I have an answer for the community....I had lagging, erratic Magic Mouse and horrible magic keyboard lagging, bluetooth drop outs, static like popping and clicking noises on usb audio

I shut off bluetooth and installed a bluetooth dongle on a powered hub at a distance of about 24" from the mini...this helped for about a week...then I moved a cable and we were back to the same problems again

I have now installed snap-together ferrite beads on each cable that plugs into usb on the Mac mini, right at the usb connector

so far this has cleared up the problem entirely but I am still using the usb bluetooth dongle, haven't tested it on the on-board bluetooth yet, and I would caution I have't tested it over a long period of time yet either

Posted on Jun 4, 2022 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2022 5:44 PM

Thanks for sharing the good info and solutions George.

This is a known issue for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, when using poorly shielded high speed USB cables and devices.

see > Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

I first encountered this issue with a 2012 Mac Mini's Wi-Fi, when I connected USB 3.0 cables and drives to it.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2022 5:44 PM in response to georgewithap

Thanks for sharing the good info and solutions George.

This is a known issue for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, when using poorly shielded high speed USB cables and devices.

see > Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

I first encountered this issue with a 2012 Mac Mini's Wi-Fi, when I connected USB 3.0 cables and drives to it.

2018 Mac mini bluetooth interference problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.