Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder not working properly on new MacBook Pro macOS Mojave

Finder not working properly is making working on this Mac that I purchased a week ago very difficult. It won't put things in the trash, it won't open other documents. It turns into the spinning ball of death util I have to force quit. Even after many reboots the same problem. I can't get in in to an Apple store until next week so any answers sooner? Thank you!

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 6, 2019 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2019 9:36 AM

Please determine if the same problems occur in "Safe Mode": Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac.

8 replies

Jun 7, 2019 7:04 AM in response to FLgirl74

I was going to have you contact Apple using this link: Contact Support but they probably would have had you try Safe Mode anyway. It might have been a simple fix.

Contact Support and click through the options until you establish human contact (phone or chat). They might have some additional suggestions that may work.

If that does not resolve your concerns to your complete satisfaction, make an appointment at an Apple Store. If they can't fix it right there and then, I suggest you stand your ground and ask for a full and complete cash refund on the spot. Take the money and immediately buy a replacement.

The reason for that suggestion is that you shouldn't have these problems with a brand new Mac, and you shouldn't have to part with it for even a day or two while they figure out what's wrong. Also, if the problems still occur in Safe Mode it raises the possibility of defective hardware.

You have fourteen days from the date of purchase for a "no questions asked" refund so don't put it off longer than that.

Jun 8, 2019 9:46 AM in response to John Galt

John, I was able to get Apple support yesterday through the links you provided. After a chat I was turned over to phone support. It took more than an hour but it seems we've gotten things right. The issue was likely caused using the migration assistant when I transferred things from one Mac to the new one. So far so good. Thanks so much for you input and helpful guidance.

Jun 10, 2019 9:33 AM in response to John Galt

I also have problem with finder on New Mac Book Pro. After data migration from old Mac to new one I can not open any folder in Finder window. But I can see all the files which were successfully moved to new computer the only problem was Finder.

I was trying to chat with Apple support and followed their instructions.

After an hour they started to advise me to start migration again in safe mode but I would not like to become the person who work only for Apple. I already spend half a day trying to solve the problem on brand new computer. It is easier for me to ask supplier to return money for this.

Then Apple support called me and promised to come back with solution. It was 4 hours ago. Nothing happened.

Finder not working properly on new MacBook Pro macOS Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.