Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel task causing battery drain and crashes

Recently I'm having a few issues with my MacBook Pro 15" 2017 with Mojave 10.14.5.

It gets very slow and I've already identified that there is a Kernel_Task process using up to 500% of the processor. To the point and that the computer goes off.

If I try to restart immediately Kernek_Task it is still using the processing and the battery is at 0%, with no indication that it is charging. It goes off again.

I have to wait and try to shut down for the battery to recharge again and then restart to use the computer.

This problem has already occurred three times. After the first one I formatted the SSD and installed everything from scratch. I had no issues for over a month but yesterday and today it happened again.

I have done the SMC Reset, following recommendations here.

Does anyone have any idea what it can be? Thanks for any help.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 7, 2019 8:43 AM

Similar questions

16 replies

Jun 7, 2019 10:25 AM in response to danielsansao

Thank you. I realize that CCleaner was installed after the problem started and is not the cause. However, a caution: it will cause you grief in the future. It was originally written for Windows and the first Mac versions of CC were bad about removing things a Mac required to run. Translated: "dead mac." I am still not sure if they got it right and don't trust it.

I use Coconut Battery all the time and it is fine. Unlike those other utilities it is basically a reporting app that does not run in the background nor interfere with protection already in the macOS. Likewise, EtreCheck is also a reporting app designed to securely create system snapshots for troubleshooting via posts in these forums.

Remember that the Mac OS is very robust and you have already paid Apple to build in defenses. macOS has also featured automatic self-maintenance scripts for about 20 years. That third-party stuff interferes with what Apple designed into the system and you get, at best, reduced performance and, in the worst case, a very unstable computer.

The only full-time third-party utility that runs in the background that most of the senior contributor here recommend is Malwarebytes. It is handy when users totally ignore the warnings macOS gives them and download something they should not. MB is a great tool to rid the computer of adware that a user invited in.

IF you wish you can post an EtreCheck report. We can quickly and within the confines of these forums help you determine if other software issues are the problem. EtreCheck is available free from the Mac App Store here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/etrecheck/id1423715984?mt=12

We can also see hard data about drive performance and RAM usage. Etrecheck is the development of a long-serving and trusted contributor here expressly for displaying information in these forums to help us help you. It will not reveal any personal or secure information.

Run it, select “Report" from the left-hand pane (scroll down to the bottom of that pane to find). When its report displays, click the "Share Report" icon from EtreCheck’s toolbar and then "Copy report” from the resulting dropdown.

Please DO NOT highlight the text in the report before using Etrecheck’s “Copy report” command—that will garble the formatting and make the report slower and harder to evaluate.

NOTE: Recent changes to the forum software require you use the “Additional Text" icon (see example below) to embed the report into a post:

Paste the report into the resulting “Additional Text” window.

Also see this excellent user tip on posting text reports like EtreCheck. It is better illustrated than mine.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

Jun 7, 2019 9:05 AM in response to danielsansao

I have done the SMC Reset, following recommendations here.

See if you qualify: https://www.apple.com/support/13inch-macbookpro-battery-replacement/

Try resetting the SMC https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters - Apple Support

Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Test. Restart as normal.

Boot into Recovery (Command R) and from the dropdown menu: Utilities>  Disk Utility> run the First Aid on your Macintosh HD. If errors are found and repaired, run again until no errors reported.

Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

If you are still having issues—take it in get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"—

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Jun 12, 2019 1:36 PM in response to mdp1101

I have same problem, i spoke with customer service and i try to reset SMC and PRAM. In my case it don’t work. In the end i decided to reinstall Mojave after formatting the disk and today i can't see a series on amazon because this task block my Mac. I am desperate my new Mac works worse than the old 2011 imac. All this after installing the new update

Jun 18, 2019 9:06 AM in response to mdp1101

Thank you for your help, mdp1101. Sadly the SMC and PRAM reset didn't solve my problems and reinstalling Mojave from scratch was the first thing I tried.

After 11 days my computer crashed again. I was working with a lot of programs open (mainly using Photoshop, Dreamweaver, InDesign, Forklift, Dropbox and Safari) and noticed it started getting slow. Kernel_task was using 400% of the processor. The battery was connected, with the icon showing it was charging, but it was dropping. I was at 5% when I noticed. I started saving files and shut down the notebook, with the battery at 3%.

Left it off for around 10 minutes and turned it on again. The battery was at 2%, not charging, and the computer turned off, without any battery charge.

I checked the charger and it was cold as if it was not connected. I disconnected it from the wall, connected again and the computer restarted and it is now working and charging normally.

After this, I tried resetting SMC and PRAM again, but I'm not optimistic about it. I have not taken it to service yet because it is out of warranty and I need it to work every day. So, I appreciate any help.

Jun 20, 2019 10:36 AM in response to Christian_le

Well, I did a quick comparison between ours Etrecheck Reports and it seems that, besides the same version of operational system and a very similar hardware, we have little in common.

We both use Steam and WhatsApp desktop. You use Chrome, I use Safari. You don't have a Wacom tablet, Office or Adobe CC Suite installed. Our batteries seem fine, but mine has 453 cycles and yours only 24 (!).

Maybe this shows it is not a problem related to a 3rd party app?

Kernel task causing battery drain and crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.