Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Side button Apple Watch S1 is pressing itself!

We all knew about the Digital crown stuck and rinse warm water on it but my issue is with the side button which is pressing itself a couple of times during the day, sometime about 50-60 times per day. It is a "long press" because the Turn off, SOS menu appear on the screen.

During this anomaly if I am pressing the crown the watch is taking a screen shoot, like I have pressed both in the same time, digital crown and side button, therefore something is keeping the side button pressed.

I have tried the trick with warm water but doesn't work, also I have keep it a couple of days in rice to absorb the potential moisture...nothing!

The side button is working somehow, if I press it, is responding!

So as a conclusion..the Side Button is LONG Pressing itself randomly during the day (is not important if is on its charger, or on my hand left or right, reverse or normal, is doing this under any circumstances)

I will go to an Apple service locally if any other solution doesn't help! Over the internet I did NOT find a similar issue with mine.

Apple Watch Series 1, watchOS 5

Posted on Jun 11, 2019 11:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2019 3:15 AM

I notice you seem to be wearing the watch around the narrowest part of your wrist, over the flexing area of the joint below the end of the bones in your forearm, and it looks like the band is pretty tight. Is it possible your wrist movement is pressing the button? Apple has a few notes about band tightness in Wearing your Apple Watch - Apple Support and it might help to try the watch slightly higher, so it sits over the rigid bony area.

However, you say the watch also sees ghost button presses while on the charger, which suggests a hardware failure and a visit to the Apple Store sometime soon. I suggest Contact Support and setup a Genius Bar appointment to reduce waiting time in the store, unless you want to be exposed to the temptation of all the shiny new toys on display while you wait.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2019 3:15 AM in response to adibose

I notice you seem to be wearing the watch around the narrowest part of your wrist, over the flexing area of the joint below the end of the bones in your forearm, and it looks like the band is pretty tight. Is it possible your wrist movement is pressing the button? Apple has a few notes about band tightness in Wearing your Apple Watch - Apple Support and it might help to try the watch slightly higher, so it sits over the rigid bony area.

However, you say the watch also sees ghost button presses while on the charger, which suggests a hardware failure and a visit to the Apple Store sometime soon. I suggest Contact Support and setup a Genius Bar appointment to reduce waiting time in the store, unless you want to be exposed to the temptation of all the shiny new toys on display while you wait.

Side button Apple Watch S1 is pressing itself!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.