Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV login attempts

After trying to sign in to iCloud in appletv I get error message “unable to sign in could not communicate with the server”

How to resolve this? My previous iPhone which completely crashed yesterday was earlier used for air play on my Apple TV. I am now using a different (old - 5s ) iPhone & wish to use it for airplay to Apple TV . In my list of apple devices I do not see Apple TV. The Apple TV had been earlier signed in with a different iCloud account which was the same as the iCloud account of the dead iPhone I signed out from Apple TV to log in with the iCloud account of the second iPhone. Got above error message.

iPhone 5s, iOS 11

Posted on Jun 12, 2019 6:29 AM

9 replies

Jun 12, 2019 11:36 AM in response to pieter999

The issue is that it is not properly connected to the internet. If your internet service has resumed then you will need to troubleshoot your local network.

Reboot ATV and router

Make sure DNS is set to auto (settings - general - network)

If on wifi try ethernet

To see a current status of the network get a report from istumbler, netstumbler or similar

Test on another network

Jun 12, 2019 11:54 AM in response to vazandrew

Thanks for trying to help me. Unfortunately I am practically computer illiterate so the information is of little use to me.

What I can add is that I've had no problems accessing the internet on my MacBook and my iPhone.

After resetting my ATV I've also been able to sign back into iTunes store without any problems.

Just can't get back into iCloud.

Jun 12, 2019 11:58 AM in response to pieter999

Other devices working wouldn't rule out a network issue, as I said if the internet is working on other devices it will require troubleshooting the local network.

As the error shows, it is not able to communicate with the server, which means there is an issue with the connection

If this something that you don't have much understanding, which is fair enough, then feel free to ask questions so someone here can try to explain things and help you troubleshoot. Alternatively, you may find it easier to walk through things with Apple support.

Jun 12, 2019 2:48 PM in response to pieter999

Actually I have worked on similar issues with other users, and the answer does lie in investigating the network. The error also states that it is unable to connect with the server. I felt it may be easier for you to consult with Apple support and walk through everything on the phone, given that this isn't a topic you're familiar with. However, I also said that you could ask further questions on here if you wanted to continue to seek help through this forum.

It may be fine with Netflix but that also doesn't rule things out. If you want to figure it out then you can pursue the options I listed above. However, if you'd rather leave it that's totally up to you.

Jul 11, 2019 7:18 AM in response to parthasarathy160

In order to use a two-factor enabled Apple ID on a device running older software the six-digit verification code will need to be added to the end of the password when signing in. This verification code can come from a trusted device running iOS 9 and later or OS X El Capitan and later, or from a trusted phone number setup with the Apple ID.

You can get verification code from iOS device Settings > Apple ID > Password & Security > Get verification code.

And fill verification code straight after password during sign into iCloud on Apple TV.

Apple TV login attempts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.