You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail – account “Status: Offline”

Hi, I’ve finally got around to switching back to using POP instead of IMAP for my Gmail account (to cut a longer story short). I followed various instructions online, many of which are out of date as the format of the settings pages/tabs seems to change with every new OS. Anyway, I deleted the account in Mail on my MacBook, then went to Gmail via a web browser and set the necessary POP settings, then went back to my MacBook and created a new email (POP) account. But the status is offline and I can’t seem to get it working. Incoming mail “host name” is “pop.gmail.com”. And the “Outgoing mail server (SMTP) is “smtp.gmail.com”. However, I can’t find things such as the “Port” settings as listed here – https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828?hl=en&visit_id=636962276693880930-3479874521&rd=1Maybe that’s the problem, or maybe not. 

I quit Mail and re-opened it, and was prompted to enter the email account password, but was then told “Unable to verify account name or password”.

Please does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!

Posted on Jun 15, 2019 2:29 PM

Similar questions

16 replies

Jun 17, 2019 7:51 AM in response to BDAqua

Hello, I managed to solve the problem!!

I followed these instructions: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255 – "Change account access for less secure apps". I'm not sure why Apple Mail is a "less secure app" when using POP than IMAP, since IMAP is primarily about syncing, isn't it? Someone in the Apple chat told me that I was wrong to refer to POP as the "minority choice" as a lot of people still use POP, especially people not using Gmail, Hotmail, etc. So why is POP less secure?

Apple Mail is now working properly. When I drag an email to a folder, it goes to the folder. It doesn't ping back into the main inbox. The annoying "Important" folder (bizarre collection of so-called important emails that does not seem to have any logic) has now disappeared. And if I look at emails in Safari on my phone (before they are downloaded to my MacBook), they are simple and clear – not weird, chaotic email trails showing emails in non-chronological order (and all other kinds of weirdness that used to happen).

Very happy to be back with POP and not IMAP!

Thanks BDAqua and Barney-15E for help and advice.

Jun 16, 2019 6:46 AM in response to McBrain

This is driving my crazy. All because I had a small problem with Mail when I got a new Macbook in 2016, and a so-called "genius" in an Apple store "fixed" the problem by – without telling me exactly what they were doing – changing the Mail from POP to IMAP, when I didn't want to use IMAP. And they deleted about 100 sent emails in the process, some of which were important things I needed to keep a record of.

Now I know why it's taken me so long to revert back to POP. Because trying to add email accounts to Mail and getting them working smoothly is – unless using IMAP – is, in 2019, as frustrating as it was with Microsoft Outlook circa 2002. Some things don't change!

I deleted the new Mail account, and added it again, but it's still offline. Still “Unable to verify account name or password”. Two screenshots attached. Please can anyone advise me further?

Thank you!

Jun 15, 2019 4:27 PM in response to McBrain

Hi, have you changed your eMail password lately?

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, then either check the Password under that item, change it, or delete it and start over.

Enter the part after the @sign in the search bar.

You may have duplicate or more entries in Keychain Access.

If using a browser to login via WebMail works it's not Name or Password, but likely old passwords interfering.

There''ll be at least 2 entries, maybe more.

The trouble is that Mac Mail almost always chooses the old Passwords if you don't change or get rid of the old ones.

Jun 15, 2019 5:06 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. No, I have not changed the password in about two months or so.

I had a look in Utilities > Keychain Access. I couldn't see what I should do after that, and I'm guessing that I don't need to change anything there if I have not changed the password recently? I wasn't sure what you meant by "check the password under that item"? I saw a list of things that have associated passwords, but I couldn't see how to actually see (or check) the passwords.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks.

Jun 15, 2019 5:15 PM in response to McBrain

Uhhhg, sorry, somehow I left out an important step, & it's even worked when the PW hasn't changed...

You may have multiple entries.

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, enter the part after the @ sign in the search bar, hit enter

You may have multiple entries.  You can edit them or delete them & start over.

Jun 15, 2019 5:33 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks.

I tried that. There are two with the email address but prefixed by "IDS:" and suffixed by "-Auth-Token" (one is "login" and one is "local items"), and one which is only the email address ("login" in the keychain column). I'm guessing some of these might be things like the login to iCloud etc.? I really don't know. I'm guessing it is ok to delete the one which is just the email address.

Jun 16, 2019 6:32 AM in response to McBrain

However, I can’t find things such as the “Port” settings as listed here – https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828?hl=en&visit_id=636962276693880930-3479874521&rd=1Maybe that’s the problem, or maybe not. 

In Mail's Account Preferences, Server Settings, is there a checkbox that states "Automatically manage connection settings?" If so, uncheck that box, both for the incoming server settings and the smtp server settings.

Jun 16, 2019 11:36 AM in response to BDAqua

I prefer just downloading emails and not leaving them floating on the server. On the rare occasion when I'm out and need to check emails on my phone, I prefer just seeing the new emails and not long email trails. I've found I have all kinds of glitchy things happening in the Mail app on my MacBook since using IMAP that didn't happen with POP, which appear to be due to constant syncing etc.

Since Apple's Mail app has options for POP, I don't understand why it is so complicated to set up. I suspect the solution will seem simply after spending more hours on it! The benefit of hindsight.

Jun 18, 2019 5:42 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua,

Thanks. Another problem that moving back to POP has solved is that over the past year or so, when trying to find an email in a folder and using the arrow keys, the email preview would often be the same for a series of consecutive emails. So I often couldn't find the email I was looking for! If I opened each email, I could actually see the email. The preview was failing. Since moving from IMAP back to POP, the problem appears to be solved! And previews show faster. Mail is simply running much more smoothly. Good riddance IMAP!

One of the temporary fixes for the problem with the previews was to rebuild mailboxes. It helped slightly, temporarily, but not enough! So, hopefully I won't need to do that anymore. However, I recall rebuilding mailboxes in the past when using POP and did not have any problems with that. Please can you explain why you are advising not to rebuild mailboxes with POP?

Thank you!

Apple Mail – account “Status: Offline”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.