You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple pencil 2nd generation not charging after update

I just updated my ipad pro to ios 12.3.1, and I noticed that my apple pencil is not charging anymore,

its battery shows 0%.

I tried to reboot and reset the settings and I searched for similar problems but nothing helped.

anyone had this problem after updating.

I am using 12.9 inches iPad pro 2018 with 2nd generation Apple Pencil

iPad Pro, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 16, 2019 10:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2019 1:25 AM

I encounter exactly the same issue as you do.

Do you have, after restarting the iPad and trying to pair the apple pencil, a bubble saying "Apple pencil unable to recognize", then another one with a pulsating "Apple Pencil", and then nothing?

Because that's what I get. My apple pencil isn't working since the last update, nor is it charging.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 17, 2019 1:25 AM in response to hamadfromspringfield gardens

I encounter exactly the same issue as you do.

Do you have, after restarting the iPad and trying to pair the apple pencil, a bubble saying "Apple pencil unable to recognize", then another one with a pulsating "Apple Pencil", and then nothing?

Because that's what I get. My apple pencil isn't working since the last update, nor is it charging.

Jun 17, 2019 7:20 AM in response to hamadfromspringfield gardens

Had your Apple Pencil been unused/uncharged for any extended period of time? If it had, the teen tiny l-ion battery can die if not continuously charged at least to 5%. Either way, it's not likely the update stopped your pencil from charging. A dead battery is the most often reason for a pencil to stop charging. You must still be in the one year warranty period, so take the pencil to your closest Apple Store and if found to be defective, they will likely replace it. Make sure you always keep the pencil charged. Even a few days without a charge can be enough for the battery to die.

Apple pencil 2nd generation not charging after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.