Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safe mode

How do I know I'm in safe mode on my iMac.

I press shift as soon as apple icon shows after power on and release as soon as log on screen appears .. but I can't see any way to identify I'm in safe mode ..

Using bluetooth keyboard. Presume the keyboard connects as soon as I touch power on ?? or should I should I use a wired keyboard ??

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 22, 2019 4:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2019 5:15 PM

This is what: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support says about starting up in Safe Mode...

"To start up in safe mode:

1. Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The Apple logo appears on your display. If you don't see the Apple logo, learn what to do.
  2. Release the Shift key when you see the login window. If your startup disk is encrypted with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and again to log in to the Finder.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup."

How to start a Mac in Safe Mode provides details from another perspective, and also describes how to identity the fact that your computer has in fact started up in Safe Mode.

From your description, it sounds to me like you are not pressing the shift key soon enough. My experience with a bluetooth keyboard and Safe Mode results in about a 50% success rate.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2019 5:15 PM in response to jondecs

This is what: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support says about starting up in Safe Mode...

"To start up in safe mode:

1. Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The Apple logo appears on your display. If you don't see the Apple logo, learn what to do.
  2. Release the Shift key when you see the login window. If your startup disk is encrypted with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and again to log in to the Finder.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup."

How to start a Mac in Safe Mode provides details from another perspective, and also describes how to identity the fact that your computer has in fact started up in Safe Mode.

From your description, it sounds to me like you are not pressing the shift key soon enough. My experience with a bluetooth keyboard and Safe Mode results in about a 50% success rate.

Jun 23, 2019 3:24 PM in response to Ferd II

Thanks yes I was waiting for the apple logo to appear, I followed you and pressed shift before logo appeared .. it took a while. seemed more than two min.. lol

On this iMac nothing says I'm in safe mode but click on the top RH menu for the clock/weather the background is in Black and white .. Suppose it's different for different builds. .. thanks again..

safe mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.