Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My left Powerbeats Pro earpiece stopped taking charge

after a month's use, suddenly my left powerbeats pro earpiece stopped taking charge when kept for charging in the case, any solutions?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 25, 2019 12:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2019 3:55 AM

This is complete bulls**t.

Every time I go to train I have to cross my fingers and hope my piece-of-s**t Powerbeats Pro earbuds work.

Left bud doesn’t charge sometimes.

Right bud doesn’t charge sometimes.

The pop-up window that’s supposed to appear when the buds are in the open case and you place the case near your phone to show their current charge almost never appears.

The process to reset the case / buds doesn’t want to work at the moment.

I’d like my f*cking money back and an apology from Apple for wasting so much of my f*cking time over the past six weeks.

123 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2019 3:55 AM in response to georgefromharare

This is complete bulls**t.

Every time I go to train I have to cross my fingers and hope my piece-of-s**t Powerbeats Pro earbuds work.

Left bud doesn’t charge sometimes.

Right bud doesn’t charge sometimes.

The pop-up window that’s supposed to appear when the buds are in the open case and you place the case near your phone to show their current charge almost never appears.

The process to reset the case / buds doesn’t want to work at the moment.

I’d like my f*cking money back and an apology from Apple for wasting so much of my f*cking time over the past six weeks.

Sep 30, 2019 11:49 AM in response to jaspal64

Hi folks. I don’t know if you’ve tried this, but I’ve FINALLY managed to get round the problem.

I’m using my 2nd pair of these earphones, due to me swapping my first pair that I thought had an issue. But it’s going to be the same on virtually EVERY pair of these headphones for ALL of us.

The design is terrible, and it’s all because the connection points are so small. What I do now after using them, is slide the main screen of my iPhone or iPad to the right to display the battery levels of all of my linked devices, and then open my Powerbeats Pro charging case. The case should be displayed on the screen and also show the headphones individually. As they are placed into the charging case, they should individually show a ‘bolt of lightning’ image next to each of them if they are charging. If not, then slowly and VERY carefully apply tiny movements to the individual headphone until it displays the ‘bolt of lightning’ image on the screen. Once both of them have that image, carefully close the lid, and be careful as you move the charging box around.

It’s a terrible design, but at least the headphones are great when I’m out running or in the gym.

***I hope I’m helping someone, because I’m finally happy now that I’ve figured out this terrible design error.***

Oct 2, 2019 5:03 PM in response to Glazier1483

Wife and I bought a set each; my left earbud stopped charging after a week - fiddled around being ultra careful to seat them into the case so they charged (which already indicates a serious design flaw) but it stopped charging completely. Took them back for repair and entire left unit was replaced. Now about 6 weeks on the wife's right ear bud is not charging!

So to summarise:

• Poor case design that requires 'fiddling' to get the contacts aligned.
  • Two different sets purchased same time - both failing to charge completely after a period of time.
  • Issues with the connection process; sometimes the mac 'looses' them and I have to reconnect.
  • Have had to completely reset them once as they refused to connect to my mac even though I'd been using them a few hours previously.

The hallmarks of a second rate product for a premium price from a company that prides itself on quality?

My advice to anyone thinking about purchasing these ... don't.

Sep 8, 2019 11:33 AM in response to Steve Guluk

Mine were a ***** to get working in this last case. Last night I could not even get the case to charge even though the lightning cord was able to charge my Apple Watch via the nightstand.

This morning I tried a different cord and got the case to start charging.

Double checked the other cord and yes it was working away charging my Apple Watch.

Cleaned, licked, cleaned the contacts on the Powerbeats Pro repeatedly.

Only the Left side would start to charge.

Repeated the cleaning, pushing on contacts, opening case, checking charge, and finally both started charging and went to 100%.

Why they were even full discharged is confusing since they were not linked to any playing devices when they were last put away.

Good luck to anyone with similar issues. Seems repeated fiddling will help but yields no logical reason other than a poor design on the charging aspects of this device.

Sep 2, 2019 6:43 PM in response to jaspal64

I would just like to thank all for calling out this potential issue. I thought it was just me or I was doing something wrong. I really like these Powerbeats (feel great and sound even better) but I’m afraid, like others, that this may be a major design flaw. Like others, it’s the left! I can’t expect myself to be so careful about the contacts making a connection in the case each and every time—that is what the magnets are for. The only way to ensure a contact and charge is to check it (the lighting bolt appearing next to each earpiece) on your iPhone or iPad and that is an unacceptable practice each and every time I put them in their case.

Feb 25, 2020 7:03 AM in response to jaspal64

Okay, so mine stopped working early on and I got a replacement pair from the store. My wife then decided that she wanted a pair so I got her some, 3 months ago, and they stopped working too.

I went back to the store, this time they said they have to send them off. As per many other people on here they came back with water damage. I requested for them to be returned to me and they have highlighted where the damage is. How water or sweat has caused a breakdown like this in less than three months is beyond me. Its almost like the plating where the contacts are is coming away. either way, no way its water damage.

Aug 30, 2019 8:42 PM in response to mur__furious

I have exactly the same problem. I take extra special effort now to make sure the buds are well seated when I put them back in the box, but I still end up with one ear piece at 0% charge at the next run. So frustrating. I also have trouble to get the HUD appear on my iPhone to check status. I’ve found the battery widget is the Today view is reliable though so always use that to check status now.

Sep 9, 2019 1:55 AM in response to jaspal64

Like others I'm so glad to find out it's not just me that this is happening to. Over the past 6 weeks my right Powerbeats Pro headphone has come out of the case utterly empty of power 2 or 3 times.

The first time it happened I guessed it could be a contact problem so I now make sure it's seated correctly before closing the case, but that hasn't stopped the issue from occurring. What I don't get is that the earbud should auto-standby when its removed from your ear, so I don't understand how I have found my earbud apparently dead (no life and doesn't show up on battery % screen) after it was placed inside its case on Sunday midday at over 90% charge and taken out for a run at 8am on Monday morning. Even if the earbud wasn't charging it shouldn't be completely dead, surely? And if it is dead surely it should say 0% power?

And like others here, my iPhone hardly ever shows the battery meter info at the bottom of the iPhone X screen. I've relinked the earbuds but it makes no difference. They either work or don't. It's intermittent.

I have wondered if sodium in sweat remaining on the metal charging contacts could be causing a problem and resulting in the earbud to discharge - but I'm clutching at straws.

Also I've discovered once that the earbud was completely dead (not working or showing on the iPhone battery % screen) but after placing it back in the case for a few minutes it suddenly was working again and was at 100% power!? It's all a bit confusing.

It's such a shame as the headphones are otherwise excellent, but this is a pretty bid flaw. Especially considering the truly premium price tag.

My left Powerbeats Pro earpiece stopped taking charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.