Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not possible to create image of a shape in Pages

Well, the title is a bit confusing but I'll explain my problem.

I created some shapes in Pages and now I want to make an image out of them.

Usually it was possible to use Preview for this. I copied the shape and choose "New from clipboard" in Preview. Preview is creating an image with the content of the shape. Up to here: fine.

But now the big problem: For a while this function is not working at all! "New from clipboard" is just greyed out...

If I group two shapes before it works ... but why?

I want one shape and not two!

Anyone an idea what to do?

That would be very kind!

Best regards,

garrett550

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 4:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2019 7:18 AM

Hi garrett550,

Tested in Pages 8.1 under macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

No need to Group. Shift click on the Shape and the Text Box and Copy.

Open Preview

That Screen Shot is enlarged by the forum software. My view in Preview is not so fuzzy.

Please call back with questions.

Regards,

Ian.

11 replies

Jun 28, 2019 4:28 AM in response to garrett550

You have inadvertently copied non-image content to the clipboard and that is the reason that Preview's New From Clipboard menu item is inactive. You can copy n-tuple iterations of single or grouped shapes from Pages v8.1 onto the clipboard, and you can image them in Preview with successive usage of the New from Clipboard menu item. I know, because I tested it.

Jun 28, 2019 4:55 AM in response to garrett550

The expression n-tuple iterations is shorthand for multiple attempts.

In order for Preview to offer that New from Clipboard menu item, the last copy to clipboard activity must be image data. As soon as you copy any non-image data to the clipboard, whether in Pages, or any other application, then Preview will make the New from Clipboard menu item inactive, until new image data is copied onto the clipboard.

Jun 28, 2019 12:37 PM in response to garrett550

That is not what I said or inferred.

Preview will activate that New from Clipboard menu item when the last paste operation to the clipboard is image data, whether that is a single Pages shape, or grouped shapes. To reiterate, if you perform any copy operation that is not image data, then you will have to copy your Pages shape(s) to the clipboard again to activate that Preview menu item.

Jun 29, 2019 5:14 AM in response to garrett550

Pages v8.1 will copy a shape with text to the clipboard without any indication that it is an image type, and Preview keeps New from Clipboard inactive. To demonstrate what should have occurred, I created the same shape with text in Pages '09 v4.3 on macOS 10.14.5, copied to the clipboard, and all manner of image pasteboard types are present, including PDF. Preview activates the New from Clipboard and inserts the shape (with text) as a PDF. Pages v8.1 is not handling shapes with text properly.

Your only workaround while using Pages v8.1, is to create your shape with text, but this time, launch Preview, and from Preview's File menu : Take Screen Shot : From Selection — and drag the cross-hairs within your Pages shape boundaries to define your selection. This will capture the shape into Preview at the same low (72 dpi) resolution as though it came in via the New from Clipboard menu item.

Not possible to create image of a shape in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.