Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete Favorites in the iPad Files app? Bug?

There appears to be a bug in the Files app (also file view in Pages) where deletions of Favorites are not processed.

I have a bunch of favorites. When I swipe to remove them, they just reappear again immediately. No error message is given. It appears it can’t process the deletions sometimes. Killing the app and opening it again has no effect.

This has been reported elsewhere on this forum with no solutions given.

All my app and OS versions are up to date.

iPad Pro, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 29, 2019 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2019 9:43 AM

Please note that these are not files. They are favorites (as shown in the photo). They are folders which have had links provided to them.

I logged in to iCloud, and went to the iCloud Drive section and it does not have Favorities, only files and folders. I don’t see a way to edit Favorites in that location. (See photo below)

Regardless, this appears to be a bug in the Files app. Probably a problem with syncing Favorites between different mobile devices with the cloud. Editing them via iCloud shouldn’t be necessary and would be a workaround.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2019 9:43 AM in response to rose_10

Please note that these are not files. They are favorites (as shown in the photo). They are folders which have had links provided to them.

I logged in to iCloud, and went to the iCloud Drive section and it does not have Favorities, only files and folders. I don’t see a way to edit Favorites in that location. (See photo below)

Regardless, this appears to be a bug in the Files app. Probably a problem with syncing Favorites between different mobile devices with the cloud. Editing them via iCloud shouldn’t be necessary and would be a workaround.

Jun 30, 2019 9:04 AM in response to Jeff Axup

Hey Jeff Axup,

I see that you're having trouble deleting files from the Files app on your iPad. I'd like to help out.

Have you tried deleting the files from iCloud.com using a browser on a computer? If not, try that now to see if the files delete. You could also check the Recently Deleted folder and ensure it is deleted. If it still reappears let us know if this happens with any file you try to delete or just a specific file.

Take care.

How to delete Favorites in the iPad Files app? Bug?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.