Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV’s HBO “channel” won’t play all content

I have the latest ATV tvOS, let my HBO Now subscription lapse, and subscribed to HBO as the new channel format (so that we can share it via family sharing, which you can’t do via HBO Now app). However, every time I find some shows via the TV app and try to play them, such as Real Time with Bill Maher, it *insists* on pushing me to the HBO Now app and renewing a subscription there.

It’s infuriating. Has anyone seen this or resolved? Going to call Apple later but wanted to check first.

Posted on Jun 29, 2019 6:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2019 8:21 AM

Anyway, discussion on why force-closing all apps is counter-productive on mobile devices aside, they solved my problem. Logged out of my iTunes account in Settings, restarted, logged back in -- now ever show, including Real Time, shows the "HBO" (channel) icon rather than the HBO Now icon, and correctly begins the stream within the TV app rather than attempting to download HBO Now. Woot.

Thanks

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2019 8:21 AM in response to mdelvecchio

Anyway, discussion on why force-closing all apps is counter-productive on mobile devices aside, they solved my problem. Logged out of my iTunes account in Settings, restarted, logged back in -- now ever show, including Real Time, shows the "HBO" (channel) icon rather than the HBO Now icon, and correctly begins the stream within the TV app rather than attempting to download HBO Now. Woot.

Thanks

Jul 2, 2019 6:30 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks. But HBO Now had already been deleted. Force-closing all apps via the app switcher is superstition and unneeded on iOS per Craig Federighi.

It seems like it’s certain shows — even while browsing the HBO channel’s contents, most of them have the plain “HBO” logo indicating they will open in-channel normally, but I see a few of them have the “HBO Now” logo, which always prompts to install HBO Now. I’ll have to call Apple to see if this is an error in show configuration on their end or what.

HBO’s help page for the HBO Apple TV channel indicates all content is included:

https://help.hbonow.com/Answer/Detail/571

Jul 2, 2019 2:43 PM in response to mdelvecchio

Force-closing all apps via the app switcher is superstition and unneeded on iOS per Craig Federighi.

I know the reference (and a brilliant action by him), but that was different. Correctly working apps don’t have to be closed, and the application state will be ‘frozen’ in the background. This also means that restarting a device doesn’t reset apps in any meaningful way, as any bad functioning app will just reload its previous state by that action.

Apps that do not function well, can possibly benefit from a force-close, as that can reset some details, depending on app. If you close all open apps, then you don’t have to figure out which one is misbehaving.

Jul 2, 2019 4:02 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Force quitting all apps is always an unnecessary action, since even as you say if there is a misbehaving app, it is isolated from the other frozen apps in iOS. Training people to force quit all just reenforces superstition, which in the case of portables is detrimental to battery life as every force-closed app must incur higher startup costs than resuming a suspended app.

In this case the only app worth force closing is TV. No dice tho, the issue seems to be on their end.

Jul 3, 2019 6:19 AM in response to mdelvecchio

mdelvecchio wrote:

Force quitting all apps is always an unnecessary action, since even as you say if there is a misbehaving app, it is isolated from the other frozen apps in iOS.

However, the app itself is still misbehaving. Force closing it will often get it to start working properly again. The categorical statement that you never need to force close apps is just as silly as saying you should always do it.

Apple TV’s HBO “channel” won’t play all content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.