Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari sporadically stops accepting page requests for a minute at a time

Hi,

Every-so-often my Internet equipment hiccups or the server I'm contacting is simply not responding. Maybe a packet got lost on the Internet highways. Whatever the cause is, the page request is not answered immediately. If I then wait 60(?) seconds, a timeout kicks in and displays a helpful message that the server is unresponsive. Impatient as I am, I have learned to recognise this after a few seconds, and the instinctive response is to hit refresh or click the link again etc, and the page loads immediately. I think anyone on the Internet know exactly what I'm talking about.

Except lately that hasn't worked with Safari. I think it started on OSX High Sierra, and I hoped it would be fixed by updating to macOS Mojave, but unfortunately the issue remains: I *have to* wait the full minute. I have no choice. Before the timeout refresh doesn't work. I actually can't open any page at all. I click other links on the page. I hit the refresh button. I try typing a search string in the address field. I try switching to another tab or opening a new one. Nothing works. Safari is apparently not sending any requests during the timeout. As if it has decided that the network is down, so there's no point in trying…?

And then suddenly the timeout triggers and the “server is not responding” text appears. When I refresh after that the page loads immediately. Everything works just fine. Until the next hiccup that makes Safari unusable for another minute.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Grateful for any help

Best regards

Johan

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 6, 2019 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2019 1:47 PM

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2019 1:47 PM in response to thegreatpretender

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Safari sporadically stops accepting page requests for a minute at a time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.