Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keep Mac menu bar from disappearing

I am working on an iMac using High Sierra 10.16. I cannot figure out how to stop my menu bar from disappearing. Earlier users found that "system preferences" "general" and unchecking a box about the menu bar fixed this. My version of OS on this desktop does not have that option in "system preferences" "general". Is there another fix?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 7, 2019 4:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2019 5:38 PM

Option-click on the Green window button will give you almost full screen preserving the menu bar and Dock. Repeat the Option-click to return the window to its original size and location.

If System Preferences -> Dock -> [X] Double-click a window's title bar to [zoom] is set, then you can double-click on a window's title bar and get amost full screen, preserving the menu bar and Dock. Repeat the Double-click to restore the windows size and position. Not all windows will go almost full screen, and some will just grow the width or the height.

Finally, when in Full Screen mode, pushing the mouse cursor to the top of the screen will often show the menu bar and the window's title bar along with the Red, Yellow and Green control buttons.

Personally, I'm with you and do not like Full Screen mode.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2019 5:38 PM in response to rich3500

Option-click on the Green window button will give you almost full screen preserving the menu bar and Dock. Repeat the Option-click to return the window to its original size and location.

If System Preferences -> Dock -> [X] Double-click a window's title bar to [zoom] is set, then you can double-click on a window's title bar and get amost full screen, preserving the menu bar and Dock. Repeat the Double-click to restore the windows size and position. Not all windows will go almost full screen, and some will just grow the width or the height.

Finally, when in Full Screen mode, pushing the mouse cursor to the top of the screen will often show the menu bar and the window's title bar along with the Red, Yellow and Green control buttons.

Personally, I'm with you and do not like Full Screen mode.

Keep Mac menu bar from disappearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.