Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 15" Orange Spots on Screen!

Hi everyone, I am experiencing a long splotchy orange smudge all along the left side of my screen as well as 'ripples' towards the mid left side, (hard to see in pics). This usually happens when my laptop is being transported from school to work ~2 & 1/2 hours on its side in my backpack. It's a late 2016 MacBook Pro 15″ with touch bar highly upgraded with all the bells and whistles and now this happens, once my warranty expires. I unfortunately didn’t get Apple Care since I BABY my laptop, I keep it in a Speck backpack that has a special protective sleeve with gel supportive coats under and bought another thick cloth protective sleeve just in case to keep it protected. I never dropped or slammed it and take extreme care of it as I spent a pretty penny on it. I figured, if people are going to spend a huge chunk of money on a laptop, then it ought to be one heck of a machine and last atleast 5 years!

One thing I did realize is that, if you somewhat ‘lightly’ push on the orange spot in another direction, it tends to move. I managed to ‘push’ it off the screen for now so now it looks normal however, 15 min later, the smudge reappears, this is NOT supposed to happen! If I’m not mistaken, the screen is a Liquid Crystal LED backlit display so maybe this is why the orange is able to shift? The layering on these screens may be defective in these laptops as I haven't been the only one to report this. It definitely seems related to heat and the way the laptop is sitting. If you leave the laptop sitting on the table for x amount of hours, the orange appears at the bottom.. I dont know much about these screens but I believe these have a massive defect where they begin to leak/fail within 1 & 1/2 - 2 years of use!

If there is anyone experiencing the same issue, or has found a resolution to the issue, please comment how you fixed this or to simply build awareness in the community as this is unacceptable considering the amount you spend on such a pricey machine that faults within 1-3 years of careful use!

Also, here are other threads of users having similar issues with their displays.

https://gregsamborski.com/macbook-pro-led-screen-discoloration-spots-15-2017-touch-bar/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2793446

I hope Apple finds a solution to this problem as this is happening even in the newer MacBook Pros as many users have reported with just a little over 1 year of use.

Image with orange smudges on the left side of the screen.

Image with ripples in red enclosed circle.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 9, 2019 12:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2019 1:08 PM

Hi,

It's a LCD or LCD backlight problem. You'd better make Genius Bar reservation and argue about the issue.

I suppose Apple know about the issue and they should offer repair extension program for defect LCD.

Similar questions

2 replies

Jul 9, 2019 1:39 PM in response to kaz-k

I'm almost certain Apple is aware of this issue but they're keeping quiet about it so they dont have to take responsibility for the issue at hand. I believe with enough support, we can bring it to their attention and have this issue resolved once and for all.

Paying roughly $700 for a screen replacemement that is most likely a massive manufacture defect all around is beyond unfair. IF anything, they should just charge for the labor as im not the only one experiencing this issue. The price of repair is unbelievably high and I would imagine very few people would be willing to accept it.

MacBook Pro 15" Orange Spots on Screen!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.