Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Scam

I just did it. I thought I was buying an app to go with an Alexa for set up and it appeared almost identical to the Amazon real app but it's not an Amazon product and that wasn't clear to me until after I bought it. There's no recourse via the manufacturer who appears to not exist and the purchase has an "auto-renew" feature so they'll keep charging me annually forever if I can't figure out how to stop it.

I clicked on the "report a problem" link and got the same response from Apple. I'm going to deal with the charge through my credit card company but I'm very disappointed that Apple doesn't want to know about scam apps! Wouldn't they want to warn their customers? The reviews, which I have to imagine were bogus too, appeared good for this one.

I do understand it's impossible for Apple to police every app but if a customer wants to report it, I think Apple should be as responsive as credit card companies have learned to be, when there's an appearance of fraud.

I've learned this latest lesson in the increasingly complicated tech world. Buyer beware.

iPhone 6s

Posted on Jul 10, 2019 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2019 1:17 PM

Have you tried turning off the auto renewal before it begins charging you?

View, change, or cancel your subscriptions - Apple Support

you can do this on your phone in settings or as instructed in the above link 

Go to Settings > [your name] > iTunes & App Store.

Tap your Apple ID at the top of the screen, then tap View Apple ID. You might need to sign in with your Apple ID.

Scroll to Subscriptions, then tap it.

Tap the subscription that you want to manage. ...

Use the options to manage your subscription.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2019 1:17 PM in response to Smudge58

Have you tried turning off the auto renewal before it begins charging you?

View, change, or cancel your subscriptions - Apple Support

you can do this on your phone in settings or as instructed in the above link 

Go to Settings > [your name] > iTunes & App Store.

Tap your Apple ID at the top of the screen, then tap View Apple ID. You might need to sign in with your Apple ID.

Scroll to Subscriptions, then tap it.

Tap the subscription that you want to manage. ...

Use the options to manage your subscription.

App Scam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.