Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth issues on iMac 5k 2017

Last year I bought a top end 27" iMac 5k with Radeon 580, i7 CPU and 2TB Fusion Drive. Included was the Magic Mouse 2 and a BT Keyboard.

Problem with this machine is that it frequently loses connectivity to the Mouse and most of the time also the keyboard. Especially after waking up from sleep mode.

I called Apple support (it is on 3y AppleCare) and they suggested to to a PRAM reset. After that the problem was somewhat better but nowhere near usable. BT connection drops randomly and sometimes needs minutes to come back. I have plugged in the keyboard now all the time and use a second mouse with USB in order to be able to use the system. Reinstalling the OS will certainly not help, because this is practically a fresh install that got very little use.

Searching the internet and this forum it looks to me as if many people have this problem and there is no fix. I cannot imagine millions of users working with this flaw without comlaining, so there must be a solution.

Does anybody have an idea how to fix this? I would let apple replace the hardware, but it seems that also does not do the trick.

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 17, 2019 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2019 11:43 AM

The first thing to suspect is electronic interference. This Apple article discusses the subject:

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

I have almost no issues at home where the desk phone is old-school corded. When I volunteer at a local museum, I have fits with disconnects. The difference is that the volunteer desk at the museum is "ground zero" for all the museum's tech. There is a PC tower computer with both wifi and BlueTooth, a wireless-enabled printer, the base station for our wireless phone handsets, a router/modem, and the credit card approval device. It's a mess!

If you cannot identify any sources of interference, try restarting the computer. If that hasn't helped, try an SMC reset:

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2019 11:43 AM in response to schmadde

The first thing to suspect is electronic interference. This Apple article discusses the subject:

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

I have almost no issues at home where the desk phone is old-school corded. When I volunteer at a local museum, I have fits with disconnects. The difference is that the volunteer desk at the museum is "ground zero" for all the museum's tech. There is a PC tower computer with both wifi and BlueTooth, a wireless-enabled printer, the base station for our wireless phone handsets, a router/modem, and the credit card approval device. It's a mess!

If you cannot identify any sources of interference, try restarting the computer. If that hasn't helped, try an SMC reset:

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Jul 17, 2019 11:47 PM in response to Allan Jones

I have already reset SMC when I did the PRAM Reset together with Apple Support.

I also thought about "wireless pollution" but I think this cannot be the problem. I regularly use a number of Bluetooth devices paired to our smartphones, iPads and other computerers and none of them ever showed any connection issues. The magic trackpad I use on my very old Mac Mini also works flawlessly without any issues.

On bootup there is also never a problem with the iMac, only after waking up from sleep. So if there is a problem with interference I still think it is a defect in the imac or the mouse/keyboard. After all, if apple does not supply any wired input devices any more the wireless ones better be rock solid.

Bluetooth issues on iMac 5k 2017

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.