Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

plugins not showing up

Hi there,

Just downloaded a bunch of free plugins (transitions + effects) from Selffy.

I recently got a new computer and installed fcpx. There's a "Motion Templates" folder in already in the Movies folder. .Localized extension already there. In the folder there was nothing. So I added Transitions, Titles, Effects, and Generators. I then added .localized to Transitions/Effects. Still not seeing anything when I pull up transitions and effects in fcpx.

Any idea what the problem might be?

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 18, 2019 8:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2019 10:56 AM

Did you create "Categories" inside Effects, and Transitions? That is one often forgotten detail...

Show us a screenshot of one of these effects or transitions, in the Finder, in Column mode.

It should look something like this, where "Lichinho" is the name of the Category (all effects inside this folder will be part of the "Lichinho" category in FCP X), and "Bulge" is one effect in this category. Also note that the whole folder must be present, not just the effect file (with a purple icon in the picture).

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2019 10:56 AM in response to timothy20

Did you create "Categories" inside Effects, and Transitions? That is one often forgotten detail...

Show us a screenshot of one of these effects or transitions, in the Finder, in Column mode.

It should look something like this, where "Lichinho" is the name of the Category (all effects inside this folder will be part of the "Lichinho" category in FCP X), and "Bulge" is one effect in this category. Also note that the whole folder must be present, not just the effect file (with a purple icon in the picture).

Jul 20, 2019 2:33 AM in response to Brent235

FCP X has not cost me anything since I bought it in 2011. Huge updates since then, all free.

The folder structure for placing transitions, effects,... could perhaps be more clearly documented but there are abundant posts about it.

I posted a screenshot of the folder structure in a thread here two days ago:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250493903

And if creating a few folders is too complicated I believe spherico has a tool that can do it for you (Motion Template Tool, I think).

Jul 19, 2019 2:46 PM in response to timothy20

Thank you, but Titles are not effects. All the directions say to go to Movies-Motion templates- and click on Titles or Transitions and paste the purchased titles folders and transitions folders in these two folders, which I did. However, they do not show up in FCPX. Wish FCPX had some customer support.

I am going to delete the app from my Mac and reinstall it. Possibly something positive will happen.

Jul 19, 2019 8:02 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Installing Mohave was a disaster, as many of my older graphics programs quit working. Read where some like Mohave...many hate it. Having to start over, we installed High Sierra on a new hard drive and updated OS 10.13.1 to OS 10.13.6. Restoring files from a backup, FCPX already puts Motion Templates in Movies with its sub folders: Titles, Transitions, Generators etc. That is why I considered deleting FCPX and reinstalling it with the 10.13.6 update. I was also able to update FCPX from 4 (OS 10.13.1) to FCPX 4.6.

I also read where if you do not see the "Transitions" folder in the Motion Templates, you need to make a folder "Transitions" etc. and put it in there. No where in print does it tell you to localize a "Transitions" folder, so I will have to learn how to do this or check to make sure the sub folders are localized. Something is going on that I do not understand, and I cannot believe something like this can be so difficult and time consuming. The FCPX tutorial videos make it look so easy--very frustrating with Apple and Adobe screwing us for more money every day.

Thank you for your help.

Jul 21, 2019 8:01 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Tom Wolsky has it right. FCPX has a defect-it should be installing Folders for Titles, Transitions, Generators etc. inside of the Motion Templates Folder.

Here is a YouTube video to correct the defect by making Folders for them and how to localize them.

If all else fails, Apple recommends making a backup, deleting the FCPX app and starting over. Maybe on the new installation, FCPX will install the proper folder combination.

I wish Apple could furnish support for their apps. “Anybody back there”?!!

https://youtu.be/YPGYTTmCI8s

plugins not showing up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.