Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airpods Always Disconnecting on All Devices

I have my 1st gen airpods about more than 1 year ago and have been using it on my iPhone X, iPad Mini and HP laptop with no issues. Just recently, my airpods always disconnects to these devices after about 1 minutes listening to music. Reconnecting it, only the left unit is functioning and disconnects again after a minute. I have tried resettting it and it works properly for about a minute and the same issue occurs. Tried other suggestions like closing other bluetooth connections of other devices, disabling automatic ear detection, etc but I still encounter the same issue. Note that the batteries are more than 95% charged. The same issue happens to my iPhone X, iPad mini and HP Spectre laptop. Note that the airpod firmware is 6.7.8. Has anybody experiencing the same issue? It's frustrating as I cannot use my airpods. Any suggestions? How can I downgrade the firmware? Hoping for a solution to this. Thank you.

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 18, 2019 7:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2019 8:55 PM

Tried rebooting my iPhone and again restored to factory settings my airpods. Now after now 1 minute of listening to music, the left airpod disconnects and right is still working. Tried to put back the disconnected pod on the charging case and after 3 seconds I put it back on my ear and the connection is restored. After again 1 minute or so, the same left pod is disconnected again. The right airpod is always working on all this testing.

What could be defective on my left ipod? Thanks.

384 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2019 8:55 PM in response to Danny Diep

Tried rebooting my iPhone and again restored to factory settings my airpods. Now after now 1 minute of listening to music, the left airpod disconnects and right is still working. Tried to put back the disconnected pod on the charging case and after 3 seconds I put it back on my ear and the connection is restored. After again 1 minute or so, the same left pod is disconnected again. The right airpod is always working on all this testing.

What could be defective on my left ipod? Thanks.

Jun 25, 2020 9:14 PM in response to Durgante

Well I heard in a YouTube video saying that you erase your whole phone and try if it works it. Worked for me for 1 day only it’s back that problem again and the battery levels are different like the left AirPod is showing 31 while the right was showing 31 to as soon as I placed back in the case and opened it showing it is 57 charged the right one but it still disconnects while watching sometimes like it a hour or even seconds I’m using iOS 14 beta

Jul 18, 2019 9:15 PM in response to tommie12

You cannot downgrade the firmware. But you can try resetting it to its factory settings by:

1. Going into Bluetooth settings on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, and forget the device.
  2. Place both of your AirPods in its charging case and leave the case lid open.
  3. Press an hold the button(located at the back of the charging case) for at least 15 seconds. You’ll start seeing the LED indicator flash white.
  4. After 15 seconds, you’ll see the LED indicator flash Amber a couple of times.
  5. After that, you have reset your AirPods to factory settings and you may let go of the button.
  6. Try pairing your airpods to your phone and hopefully this fixes your issue!

If this does not fix the issue, try rebooting your devices and see if that helps. If not, I would take it to the Apple Store and get it checked out. Good luck!

Aug 27, 2019 5:14 PM in response to thiagoreis

Yes, a lot of users of Airpod Gen 1 have been complaining on this disconnection issue lately with the latest firmware uploaded. I hope Apple will listen to our complaints and sentiments on this product and release the firmware to resolve this. I am now not convince to buy the latest Airpods as this issue may occur and Apple will not support this.

APPLE PLEASE RESOLVE THIS!!!

Aug 10, 2019 1:39 AM in response to candra yunianto

Yes, Exact same behavior. mine is getting disconnected every 30 mins then put back in case for 5 mins then pull out to connect again and like wise it works for another 15 mins then cycle repeat's.

i also noticed that battery life is also drastically decreased but case shows 90% sometime 70% and disconnects.

Please help "apple !!!" instead replace and pay same cost,upgrade the firmware quickly.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 30, 2019 12:10 AM in response to Maverick3345

My wife's gen 1 airpods have been okay for the past months. These have been bought the same time mine were purchased. My problem was observed June of this year and up to present. My wife's airpods just showed the same problem only this week. Must be the same firmware 6.7.8 issue!

Apple released today iOS 12.4.1 upgrade and still our airpod firmware was not updated!

When will Apple resolve this irritating issue on our AirPods? Please listen to our complaints!

We cannot use the AirPods we bought and we are doubting to buy the newer generations as this same issue may happen in the future.

Or just revert back to the previous 6.7.2 version so we can use our AirPods.

Oct 5, 2020 2:30 AM in response to 8964isnotrightangle

I got my Airpods back from fixing today. No any surface damage.

The testing result is FULLY RECOVERED!!! I'm so excited that my Airpods can play 4.5 hours now (vs. less than 2 minutes before repairing).

It's re-born, and may work for next 3 years. Hope Apple never kill it again.

my previous posts:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250494933?answerId=252734042022#252734042022

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250494933?answerId=253544521022#253544521022

Oct 5, 2020 12:05 PM in response to SippyGus

Hi bro, as I posted in https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250494933?answerId=253544521022#253544521022 , the root cause is that firmware 6.8.8 increases the voltage_low threshold (inference, no measurement proof), so to phase out old devices. The aged battery has faster drop curve than fresh battery.

Since no way to downgrade firmware or change the threshold yet, so the solution is to change the battery physically. Fortunately, I found local Airpods 1st/2nd gen battery replacement service via local B2C/C2C platform (like Amazon), which fixing cost is 23 USD, and 7 days express forth/back + fixing. I feel it's worthy to save my 190 USD Airpods (yr 2016) than buy a new one.

The new battery performance of playing music @60% volume:

20 minutes 90%

1 hour 78%

3 hours 53%

4 hours 12%

4h30m BT drop

PS.

If you have hot air welding/soldering tools and know how to use, then you can buy a pair of batteries totally 8 USD, and DIY like this: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1Ez411v7er

Nov 17, 2020 12:05 PM in response to thiagoreis

Finally I do the two thingis, sign the request of Change.org and write to Apple the next message:

Subject:

Disconnection of 1st generation of AirPods on calls

Body:

The latest firmware version of first generation of AirPods disconnect the device in calls before than 1 minute with full case and AirPods with full battery.

I try all standard solutions and nothing works. Other people have the same problem. You can see this threads:

https://communities.apple.com/es/thread/251361302?answerId=253902533422&login=true

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250494933?answerId=253903476022&login=true

Aug 29, 2020 6:47 PM in response to Danny Diep

Sorry Danny. I think Apple knows this issue but it does not want to solve it. I go to Apple support already but the replied answer is not helpful/support.

1. It cannot help to check what is the problem of aipod.
  2. It says it has not receive such report/complain.
  3. It will not care what the customers say on the forum or internet. It will only care what Apple say but we know NOTHING.
  4. It will not return my airpod to let Apple to check although I agree to pay money.
  5. It cannot help to downgrade the firmware although I have not agree to do the upgrade for all of time.

May 31, 2021 12:40 AM in response to tommie12

I have the same issue with my first-generation AirPods. It disconnect automatically with every device after few mins. I have tried following

• Factory resetting
  • Forget/ Remove from Bluetooth device list.
  • Testing with another iPhone or Laptop.
  • Updating the latest ios on mobile.
  • The current version of firmware is 6.8.8

But it's not working. These are just two years old and the issue I'm facing is for the last 1month. I won't but another Airpods.

APPLE PLEASE RESOLVE THE ISSUE

Airpods Always Disconnecting on All Devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.