Newsroom Update

watchOS 11 brings powerful health and fitness insights. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch series 3 factory reset

When trying to reset an Apple Watch (series 3) to the factory settings, what are you supposed to do if pressing hard and releasing the “off” slider does not bring up the reset menu?

Apple Watch Sport

Posted on Jul 19, 2019 8:55 PM

8 replies

Jul 20, 2019 5:50 AM in response to Laur_1

What do you see on screen? If it is asking for a passcode or showing the time it MUST be erased before you can begin pairing to your phone. The document I linked gives you two different methods to erase.

Also see Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support, and if you bought a used/pre-owned watch take a look at About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support and What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Apple Watch, or buy one from someone else - Apple Support because it is unfortunately a common problem that many second hand devices are still Activation Locked and can’t be setup by the new owner.

Jul 20, 2019 9:48 AM in response to Dah•veed

It doesn't say anything about an activation lock but I'm really not sure because I just purchased the watch on ebay.... I also am wondering if it is icloud locked, but it isn't asking for an icloud password... I'm stumped by it. I have spoken on the phone with Apple and they tried a few things but then told me I'd have to bring it in (which I don't want to do where I just purchased it used). So I just didn't know if anyone had anything similar happen to them. Thanks

Apple Watch series 3 factory reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.