Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X swollen battery needs replacement, help please.

I have a iPhone X that looks brand new but last week I noticed it was hot while on the charger, I didn't think much about it but the next day the phone was bulging in the middle. I called Apple and they didn't care but told me I could take it to Best Buy and they'd replace it for a fee since they're an authorized service center. I had an appointment with Best Buy today and they said they will not help because the iPhone is swollen and sent me on my way.

The iPhone is working fine and the battery seems fine except it's a little swollen, I'd like to get the battery replaced but Apple is no help and I really don't think I can buy another iPhone after what I just went through with this, it's not normal for this to happen!

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 7:14 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Jul 20, 2019 9:19 PM in response to jongig

Is it still under the original warranty? If so a swollen battery is clearly a warranty concern.

What you really need to do is take it to an Apple Store if you can. You can specify that it's an Apple Store. Even if it's out of warranty you should be able to get a replacement device for less than the full retail cost, although it won't be like a new device with a new warranty.

Jul 21, 2019 3:34 AM in response to y_p_w

iPhone is one and a half years old, no warranty. iPhone app shows the battery has 95% life left, it's clearly not something I did and Apple should be doing more, they'll just lose those that've been with them for a long time. I'm not at all happy with Apple and my next letter is the US safety commission.

Jul 21, 2019 8:29 AM in response to jongig

Honestly there’s not much that’s going to happen if it’s out of warranty. But I’d still say try taking it to an actual Apple Store for a diagnostic. If it’s not that bad as you state then maybe it just needs a battery. Best Buy doesn’t want anything to do with it, but just give an Apple Store a try.

Jul 29, 2019 7:38 AM in response to jongig

jongig wrote:

I replaced the battery myself and will not be buying another iPhone again. The battery was easy to replace and I was in a safe environment when doing so.

You have rendered your phone ineligible for any future out-of-warranty services from Apple and possibly ineligible for any potential extended warranty programs.

And, by the way, it is perfectly normal for lithium ion batteries to swell as they age. I spent twenty years in the cell phone industry and have a lot of experience with this. Back in the days of basic phones, the standard way of testing to see if a battery was old was to remove it from the phone and see if it would easily spin on the counter. LG phones were notorious for swollen batteries but we saw it in phones from all manufacturers. For phones with non-removable batteries, Motorola phones seemed to be a big issue.

iPhone X swollen battery needs replacement, help please.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.